Professor Kyle
A
Most white people still don't understand affirmative action. Even ones who claim to be liberal bemoan the "unfairness" of non-whites getting "preference" – when the reality is that they're the ones who *always* get preference in every aspect of life due to their white skin.
11:21 AM - Jun 27, 2023
William Tulloch
A
The only time, in college admissions, that less qualified people are chosen over more qualified is when legacy admissions for the children of alumni occur. Those overwhelmingly favor white kids. True affirmative action is selecting for diversity from among the qualified.
In response to Professor Kyle.
11:41 AM - Jun 27, 2023
jpneedleman
A
In response to William Tulloch.
No one every sweats the alumni kids (and I might have been in that category) but if a minority kid with high scores gets and a legacy gets rejected, its an outrage
11:59 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to William Tulloch.
Exactly. And as a tool to overcome the tendency to uplift one's own group at the expense of others (as throughout history the vast majority of college admins & admissions staff in the U.S. have been white).
11:46 AM - Jun 27, 2023
William Tulloch
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
I surprise people when I acknowledge being helped by affirmative action when applying to college (which I know because our school let us look at our admission files after we enrolled). Because I was both working class and from a high school that normally didn't send applicants, I got a closer look.
11:48 AM - Jun 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}