✨Witchy Woman✨
A
I am so tired of explaining to over privileged white ppl that you cannot have a "merit based" society unless everyone starts at the same point and has the same access to all resources.

your idea of "merit based" is SYSTEMIC RACISM THAT KEEPS THE REST OF US OPPRESSED.
05:49 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to ✨Witchy Woman✨.
3) Same with college admissions. We know early GT testing has a 50-80% false negative response rate, and that testing later is a function of zip code and family income. So colleges are fully aware they’re not getting all of the potential best students. Wouldn’t they want to fix that?!?!?!
05:56 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
2) Here’s what makes my brain hurt: white supremacy + the patriarchy are so important, bosses will hire lower achieving candidates – and hurt their own bottom line – just to prop up the system. That’s a level of fragility that should be unacceptable from a business, if not moral/social, standpoint
05:49 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
1) There’s some good innovation in the math ed, GT, and advanced stats spaces, and the common denominator is, “merit-based” and “best man for the job” have always been hogwash. At worst, they’re outright racist and sexist, but at best they’re lazy and inefficient.

2) TBC …
05:45 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Jillian Anger
A
I’m a white woman, and I join you in your exhaustion.
This is not a hard concept.

Even people I love seem to be incapable of comprehending the disparity. It’s willful ignorance. It’s disgusting frankly. How so many are unable to put themselves in the shoes of others just floors me. I’m sorry.
09:17 PM - Jun 29, 2023
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to Jillian Anger.
09:25 PM - Jun 29, 2023
AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn
A
In response to Jillian Anger.
It's our job as white people to do the work of educating other white folk. PoC have been doing the work while simultaneously being victims of that racism. We must use our privilege to educate whenever and wherever we can.
04:41 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Jonathan Sands
A
Doesn't seem like it requires an Einstein level intellect to grasp the concept.
09:06 PM - Jun 29, 2023
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to Jonathan Sands.
you would think!!! but we still have so many ppl who go about their lives mistakenly believing that everyone else's life is just like theirs
09:24 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Dan Wentzel
A
Let's not kid ourselves that privileged whites would actually want a merit-based society. The ladders for their privileged kids stay in place. The last thing they want is for everyone else's kids to have the same opportunities and resources as theirs.
06:09 PM - Jun 29, 2023
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to Dan Wentzel.
damn straight that's what it's really about. They can't compete with anyone for anything. it's why they are breaking precedents and setting things back. it's also why white boys go everywhere with a gun.
06:17 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Liz Adams
A
In response to Dan Wentzel.
When people who assume they've got where they are through merit really come up against talented people, they get a big shock and start saying well, now things are going too far! That's enough progress for now..
05:56 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
When the system is binary -- like admissions (you're in or out) or elections (only one winner) then a 51% majority can ensure they get 100% of the slots. It's pretty simple math that affirmative action is trying to address.
06:07 PM - Jun 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}