Konstantine
A
thread 1/20
#thread

Oak Barrel Aging

Decided to rekindle a little hobby aging alcohol in oak barrels. Figured why not bring you all along for the ride.

This will be a 3-4 month endeavor so it might be worth bookmarking this thread. I’ll also echo after each update.
08:02 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 2/20
This as the laziest of lazy hobbies. 😀

It started after two separate things happened many years ago. First, having a friend introduce me to the concept at a gathering out in LA. Second, attending a tequila tasting hosted by company I worked for.
08:03 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 3/20
The tasting was my first exposure to expensive tequila and just how much better it is compared to what I was used to at the local bars.
08:03 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 4/20
The first step is ordering the oak barrels. There are websites on the interweb and the barrels can be ordered in all sorts of sizes based on liters. They typically come in sizes of 1, 2, 5, 10, and up.

I just ordered two 2-liter oak barrels. Here’s a pic of the barrels previously used.
08:04 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 5/20
I prefer 2 liter barrels for a couple reasons. First, 2 handles (1.75L) of alcohol are enough to get through the full aging process for each barrel.

Second, the bigger the barrel, the longer it takes to age the alcohol. I’m not that patient.
08:05 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 6/20
The next update will be in about a week after the barrels are delivered and I begin the curing process.
08:05 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 7/20
Behold, the new oak barrels!

The barrels were just filled with hot water and will sit overnight to cure. This process will swell the wood to close any potential leaks, because the last thing we want to do is waste alcohol.

I'll probably put them in the sink or tub just in case there's a leak.
07:28 PM - Jun 30, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 8/20
Not yet concerning, but the oak barrels were a little damp around the spigot this morning, especially the one on the right. 😔

I emptied the barrels, ran hot water thru the spigot, and then refilled the barrels with hot water.

Let's hope things are better by tonight or tomorrow morning.
11:56 AM - Jul 01, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 9/20
Barrel #1 had no leaks or damp spots so it was filled with Costco/Kirkland tequila.

I prefer white/silver alcohol for barrel aging. The first time I used Bulleit Bourbon and the results were no different than the original bourbon as far as I could tell.

Also, I had a shot for good measure.
06:24 PM - Jul 02, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 10/20
Barrel #2 was discolored around the edges but not damp or leaking so took the plunge and filled with Captain Morgan White Rum. This is my first time aging rum.

Still unsure if the barrel was ready. Hoping my lack of patience didn’t get the best of me.

Tequila barrel looking cozy on the left.
04:28 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 11/20
Cheers to our first tequila tasting after (almost) two weeks in the oak barrel.

As you can see, the tequila has definitely taken on some color from the barrel. Not much has changed in taste at this point, but it has smoothed out a tiny bit for sipping.
04:37 PM - Jul 14, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 12/20
This update on the rum barrel is a couple week late. My travel plans a few weeks ago messed up the usual update. The pic is from June 15th.

There continues to be a small leak where the spigot enters the barrel so I ordered barrel wax to hopefully fill the gap. We'll see if it works later today.
09:21 AM - Jul 30, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 13/20
Took a little taste test from the tequila barrel last night. The tequila has taken on just slightly more color, but there wasn't much change in taste from a few weeks ago.

What did surprise me is how much tequila I needed to add back into the barrel to account for the Angel's Share.
03:53 PM - Jul 30, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 14/20
Sunday Funday included a taste test from the rum barrel. The color is slightly darker but, similar to the tequila, not much change in the taste yet.

I topped off the barrel with about 6 oz. of rum, which seems like a lot of loss to the angels.

See alt-text for info regarding the leak.
04:24 PM - Jul 30, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 15/20
Don’t mind me as I sip some tequila and rum this afternoon. The tequila barrel is at 49 days and rum barrel at 47 days. The oak flavor is really starting to take hold now.

I’m debating on whether to stick with the original 100 days of aging or just letting it go until the holiday season now. Hmmmm.
04:24 PM - Aug 20, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 16/20
Here's a close up of the shot glasses. The rum is taking in more color and flavor so far.
04:28 PM - Aug 20, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 17/20
Why not do a taste test from the oak barrels today on this first Sunday Funday of the football season?! First up is tequila which is starting to mellow every so slightly after 70 days in the barrel. Another minimum of 30 more days left, but still thinking of leaving it in much longer.
02:43 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 18/20
It's not gin and juice, but don't mind me as I sip on some rum that's been aging for 130 days now. I've been aging the rum for longer periods between tastings and am now running out of original Captain. Hoping to get one more tasting done and then the big reveal after the move next month.
02:17 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 19/20
Posted a pic on the regular feed earlier. This is 133 days for the tequila.
09:52 PM - Nov 12, 2023
Konstantine
A
thread 20/20
Merry Christmas everyone!

Earlier today I emptied the oak barrels as a little gift to myself. The rum barrel filled a little over one original bottle. However, I seemed to lose a lot of tequila to the angels with less than a full bottle left in the 2 litter barrel.

Cheers!
02:44 PM - Dec 25, 2023
Kenyan Hicks
A
I finally found my people….
In response to Konstantine.
09:18 PM - Jun 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}