Joaquin Castro
A
It’s time to end legacy admissions. Each year thousands of students are admitted to colleges around the nation only because their parents went there.

Legacy admissions are back-door discriminatory policies that overwhelmingly advantage wealthy, white students over everyone else.
03:08 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Birdmischief
A
In response to Joaquin Castro.
Exactly. That's one reason why I turned down a major college to which I applied and was accepted. I couldn't really shake the notion that part of that decision may have been because my grandmother went there.
09:50 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Tony_Bell
A
Seriously?

It didn't occur to you that whether she went there or not, you may have met their standards & thus belonged there as much as any non-legacy student?

That's what I'd have thought were I in that situation, just as I thought that upon matriculating at a top university while bring a POC.
In response to Birdmischief.
11:52 PM - Jun 30, 2023
Birdmischief
A
In response to Tony_Bell.
Oh, it occurred to me. I took a long time agonizing over the decision between the 2 colleges to which I applied. I chose the one that wasn't connected to my family and was a bigger challenge. TBH, had my grandparents told me earlier that they would've paid for Smith, I might have chosen differently!
01:28 AM - Jul 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}