Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs
A
thread 1/5
My relationship with the American Flag is complicated, too.

Folks have to realize, in certain places, ubiquitous flags are a sign that I'm not welcome there or I don't belong there as a Brown Asian. It's worse when Black (in the linked narrative, which is written from a Black POV).
02:21 PM - Jul 04, 2023
A
thread 2/5
I ignore the stares and glares I get often enough in those places. Sometimes my ambiguously tan pwet (butt) gets a pass, but I shouldn't have to hope I'm white-passing enough to be in those spaces... I. Belong. Here. Full stop.

GIF ID: Blue and yellow text which says "Belonging matters"
02:25 PM - Jul 04, 2023
A
thread 3/5
I don't react like a vampire to garlic to the flag. I'm often singing while standing for the Anthem since I like to sing. And also yell "O!" at the requisite time because…Marylander.
--
GIF ID: Baltimore Orioles mascot running around with an O's flag...
03:28 PM - Jul 04, 2023
A
thread 4/5
I may be a mixed and hyphenated American, but despite what those folks say, I'm American.

I am a 1.5 gen on my mom's side, yet a citizen from birth because of my Navy dad. I am well cognizant of my family's sacrifices. And that of those around me.
03:36 PM - Jul 04, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 5/5
I love the ideals the flag represents, but you best believe I'm going to work to get to those ideals when they fall short (and they do for plenty of of we BBIMPs...and others).

Even if you wish that this country still owned the RP, you do not own me. Period.
-
Ms Piggy to Kermit: You don't own me.
03:44 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
In response to Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
02:26 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Bad Hombre Resistor
A
I know what you mean. I think we need to fight to keep the right from coopting the US flag like they've done with faith and the notion of family values. No one should fear the US flag, it SHOULD be comforting to everyone.
11:08 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Paula Beard
B
In response to Bad Hombre Resistor.
They also stole the message of "fiscal responsibility" and convinced voters that GOP is better for the economy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Democrats have been way more fiscally responsible and much better for the economy. TAKE IT BACK!
02:31 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Ernest Clark
A
Sad. Not right.
10:34 AM - Jul 05, 2023
A
In response to Ernest Clark.
What do you mean here? Please elaborate.
02:11 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Lisa Slevin Pierce
A
Definitley saw that today. White guys in big white pickups with huge American flags mounted on back. Revving their engines,, blaring loud music... looking for someone to challenge them
05:48 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Rosetta
A
I hate the way my view of the flag has changed. Now when I see it when I’m out and about I get anxious. I’m become hyper vigilant about what’s going on around me. Personal safety becomes my major concern. The flag, for me now represents: maga, hatred, fear, a country that hates my existence.
03:50 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Lisse (she/her)
A
In response to Rosetta.
Agreed…I don’t fly an American 🇺🇸 flag. Makes me uncomfortable.
See, like Halo-Halo says, when the founding fathers wrote the constitution, and implied that all men were equal. That really doesn’t mean ALL MEN. We were never intended to be part of that.
05:19 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Susan Simon
A
In response to Rosetta.
I hear you. The only flags I feel comfortable now with are the ones on our favorite team's logo shirts where the stripes are made of weathered bats. And the tiny ones waved by the kids at the parade. If it's on a pickup truck I make unfortunate assumptions. Hate that it's been weaponized.
09:10 PM - Jul 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}