Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 1/9
Activism, a thread

The OH victory of 700K+ signatures to get Reproductive Rights enshrined in our Constitution didn't come out of nowhere. Lots of Democratic Ward Clubs, Planned Parenthood, & other long-standing nonprofits organized like hell.

But there is more. Social media helped. A bunch.
02:14 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 2/9
I belong to at least 5 private groups on FB, nearly all of them run & peopled by women, that organized petition drives in all OH counties. Some of them started as pro-Hillary groups that morphed into Trump resistance groups after 2016. Some organized in support of candidates in the 2018 midterms.
02:18 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 3/9
Others began in support of or in response to the 2017 Women's March.

Bob & I brought people to the #Cleveland version of that March who had never been to a demonstration. We drove a disability van. We encouraged suburban women who had never taken the Rapid to downtown.
02:20 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 4/9
Activism is a process. Sometimes folx need encouragement to move from bitching about current conditions to doing ONE ACTIVE POSITIVE THING. Because once you do that thing and see others do it, too, you realize "I'm not alone!" And you are likely to do more.
02:23 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 5/9
The leader of one of my No on Issue 1 groups is a Columbus-area playwright. She is firm in not allowing negative "oh God we are doomed" chatter because it halts action & despair is a de-motivator. "Say WE GOT THIS", she'll write, "and share what you've done this week to meet our goal."
02:26 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 6/9
I think it's helpful to contemplate what steps actively help people to get involved in political or community organizing. Some of it is finding a community that encourages & uplifts. Some is making activist activities fun, whether it is bringing cookies to a meeting or wearing fun hats to a march.
02:31 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 7/9
Remember: every step matters. Bob & I stumped for John Kerry & we lost (by machinations, another story) but I met engaged neighbors & it was easier for us both to canvass for Obama 2008. I became one of the data entry folks for Obama 2012 & our ward was so successful we were featured in Newsweek.
02:34 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 8/9
We are in the beginning stages of having a kickass SM experience with Spoutible. We will need additional tools, like lists & chats, for it to work properly. But it can work.

Not just for US politics. For climate emergency, worldwide LGBTQ rights, anti-racism.
02:37 PM - Jul 05, 2023 (Edited)
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 9/9
It is good to remember: things happen in stages. There are stumbles. But we must play The Long Game & bring our pals along. The friend who marched for the 1st time in 2017? He made free video ads in 2020 & 2022 for candidates & issues.

Activism is a process.
02:39 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
In response to Linda Eisenstein.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
10:07 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Irminsul Harp.
It's natural to think that expressing frustration with current conditions is an action. Well, it can be an action if it changes a mind but mostly we need to spur activity. Hence the thread. I was very active in using ResistBot to write my reps after Trump & we did beat back a few things that way.
11:02 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Claudia Citro
A
@LindaEisenstein Looking forward to becoming more of an activist with you.
03:33 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Honorary Doctor of Sass
A
What I do watching TV #PostcardsToVoters easy to do on your own time or make a postcard party 🍷
03:31 PM - Jul 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}