Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 1/9
Activism, a thread

The OH victory of 700K+ signatures to get Reproductive Rights enshrined in our Constitution didn't come out of nowhere. Lots of Democratic Ward Clubs, Planned Parenthood, & other long-standing nonprofits organized like hell.

But there is more. Social media helped. A bunch.
02:14 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 2/9
I belong to at least 5 private groups on FB, nearly all of them run & peopled by women, that organized petition drives in all OH counties. Some of them started as pro-Hillary groups that morphed into Trump resistance groups after 2016. Some organized in support of candidates in the 2018 midterms.
02:18 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 3/9
Others began in support of or in response to the 2017 Women's March.

Bob & I brought people to the #Cleveland version of that March who had never been to a demonstration. We drove a disability van. We encouraged suburban women who had never taken the Rapid to downtown.
02:20 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 4/9
Activism is a process. Sometimes folx need encouragement to move from bitching about current conditions to doing ONE ACTIVE POSITIVE THING. Because once you do that thing and see others do it, too, you realize "I'm not alone!" And you are likely to do more.
02:23 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 5/9
The leader of one of my No on Issue 1 groups is a Columbus-area playwright. She is firm in not allowing negative "oh God we are doomed" chatter because it halts action & despair is a de-motivator. "Say WE GOT THIS", she'll write, "and share what you've done this week to meet our goal."
02:26 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 6/9
I think it's helpful to contemplate what steps actively help people to get involved in political or community organizing. Some of it is finding a community that encourages & uplifts. Some is making activist activities fun, whether it is bringing cookies to a meeting or wearing fun hats to a march.
02:31 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 7/9
Remember: every step matters. Bob & I stumped for John Kerry & we lost (by machinations, another story) but I met engaged neighbors & it was easier for us both to canvass for Obama 2008. I became one of the data entry folks for Obama 2012 & our ward was so successful we were featured in Newsweek.
02:34 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 8/9
We are in the beginning stages of having a kickass SM experience with Spoutible. We will need additional tools, like lists & chats, for it to work properly. But it can work.

Not just for US politics. For climate emergency, worldwide LGBTQ rights, anti-racism.
02:37 PM - Jul 05, 2023 (Edited)
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 9/9
It is good to remember: things happen in stages. There are stumbles. But we must play The Long Game & bring our pals along. The friend who marched for the 1st time in 2017? He made free video ads in 2020 & 2022 for candidates & issues.

Activism is a process.
02:39 PM - Jul 05, 2023
joisk@
A
In response to Linda Eisenstein.
@MeidasTouch do your thing!
02:36 AM - Jul 06, 2023
joisk@
A
@cbouzy 🗣️ Spread the word

#THEOhioState
02:31 AM - Jul 06, 2023
Kate Head
A
Ohio
They need to vote in AUGUST first to protect, current they need to need 50% of the vote to change the state constitution. GOP trying to change the rule to 60% in special election in August. Cheaters.
12:33 AM - Jul 06, 2023
Madeleine
A
Such a great thread. I wish I could see the comments; not working for me today!
03:39 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Madeleine.
Thanks Madeleine! Not a lot of replies but plenty of shares. Maybe more discussion after the platform settles down after the surge.
03:55 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Melinda Nowikowski
A
I haven't discussed what got her motivated, but our Dem Precinct Captain seems to have made her decision to collect signatures and get on the ballot when the Roe decision was leaked. The current precinct went for Trump by 12% in 2016; by 1% in 2020. She picked a good time to get involved!
03:35 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Melinda Nowikowski.
The Roe leak galvanized all these groups. It gave them something concrete & imminent to focus on. You know when the R's come up with such a crazy bad plan to alter citizen referendums that they are scared AF.
04:01 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Susan Simon
A
Well explained and well stated. We need to stop the "do something right now" message and begin messaging like the GOP did before. Plan to retake control bit by bit from the ground up. ANd activism step by step. Can't do same things I did years ago bc age+ abilities, but I can do postcards to voters!
03:26 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Susan Simon.
Yes, types of activism can change with age & abilities. By 2017 Bob couldn't march or direct canvass so we drove a van for disabled folks. I moved from door-to-door to data entry because I'm fast on computers. My gf Marilee's hands shake too much for postcards but she can text. Etc.
08:41 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
Very well written, thank you!
02:59 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Jennifer Moore Baker.
Thanks!
03:00 PM - Jul 05, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}