Only followers of this user (Canyonsfan) can see their posts

Diane Turner
A
Yes: fossil fuels, green, blah blah…

Just go to the history of Robert Moses who built road overpasses too low for busses so they couldn’t travel from NYC to beaches. Inner cities are filled w liberals and people of color. Public transportation gives access and power that they want to deny: racist.
In response to Inconclusive Laura®️.
07:33 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Sue Paz
A
In response to Diane Turner.
Thanks for this insight. I'd never heard of this Moses and after reading your post I read an article on Bloomberg (July 2017) by Thomas J. Campanella.

Such devastating policies.
10:19 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Sue Paz.
Yes. The cruelty knew no limits:

Parkways through communities.
No parks or green areas near public housing.
Public housing placed far from or good subway lines.
Bridges lowered to keep minority bus riders from east access to white majority beaches. etc etc.
10:21 AM - Jul 19, 2023
DJohnRowinski
A
That's why there is limited bus service between Holyoke and Northampton MA even as I write
10:00 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to DJohnRowinski.
Ugh. The scourge of this planning takes generations to fix.
10:22 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Reginald Capers
A
I lived in NYC for 30 years before I began to learn about the sinister Robert Moses.
07:48 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Deborah Conway
A
In response to Reginald Capers.
I took an urban planning course in graduate school when I learned about Robert Moses!
07:53 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Reginald Capers.
The Power Broker is a fascinating read. Also the Ken Burns documentary on NY dedicated a lot of time to him. Truly an evil mastermind.
09:57 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
That's a breathtaking amount of thought and attention to detail to put into the most petty acts of spiteful cruelty.

#WhiteSupremacists
#Republicans
07:46 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
Sure is.

Robert Moses was a piece of garbage who had more power over the urban development of NYC than imaginable.

Many acts were done to segregate black people from white people and to deny black people access to services. He created a form of systemic poverty here that we still are unwinding.
07:56 AM - Jul 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}