aaron
A
Sometimes I think people on here wonder if when people are sticklers for ALT text, it’s to appease some hypothetical future user so it’s not actually important and just “virtue signalling”

It’s not.

There are people on Spoutible RIGHT NOW that need the Alt text.

“Community” includes Alt text
Mischievous Pixie @MschievousPixi
From the bottom of my heart to yours, I thank you for using the Alt Text feature, Mr. Bouzy. I can now read all the great features you & your team have been working towards. I look forward to seeing them implemented.
03:07 AM - Jul 20, 2023
08:40 AM - Jul 20, 2023
Mischievous Pixie
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for quote-echoing, Aaron. You, your experience & fierce advocacy for all kinds of disabled people shines like a beacon. I really didn't expect my reply spout to spark so many conversations but thanks to you & many others I get to witness the building of community irt. And it is awesome.🙂
06:28 PM - Jul 21, 2023
aaron
A
In response to Mischievous Pixie.
Well that is unbelievable kind. Thank you.
07:03 PM - Jul 21, 2023 (Edited)
aaron
A
In response to Mischievous Pixie.
Quick question for you: in another thread someone asked me the best way to show emphasis so it works best with screen readers

Does an _ on either side of the word work? What’s the best practice on this?

Thanks for the help!
04:48 PM - Jul 30, 2023
Anne
A
In response to aaron.
I didn't know what ALT text was so thank you for explaining it and giving an example. What a great idea/feature. Will try and add that, in the future.
06:46 PM - Jul 20, 2023
aaron
A
In response to Anne.
That’s great - it’s super important so people with screen readers can actually know what a picture is
07:01 PM - Jul 20, 2023
Liz
A
In response to aaron.
I don’t understand what Alt txt means here
10:26 AM - Jul 20, 2023
aaron
A
In response to Liz.
When you post a picture, there is a little blue box that comes up that says ALT. When you click on that, you enter a description of the picture.

This is important because people with screen readers need that Alt text so the software can say what the picture is.

Without it, it's just nothingness
10:28 AM - Jul 20, 2023
aaron
A
In response to Liz.
Here’s an example of a picture using alt text. I have clicked the Alt button to show the alt text. A screen reader is programmed to read this to the user

(Also see the Alt text on my example)
10:32 AM - Jul 20, 2023
Gloria H
A
In response to aaron.
I'm trying to be better about what I enter into Alt Text. I'm not always sure how to describe the image. Suggestions please.
10:02 AM - Jul 20, 2023
aaron
A
In response to Gloria H.
Sometimes it's hard. I struggle too.
Just do your best to explain location in the image & colour & feeling.
If there's lots of tech, on an iphone you can go to your photos, press down on the image until the "copy" option comes up and then copy and paste that text into the Alt text.
10:13 AM - Jul 20, 2023
JayTuma1 (She/Her)
A
In response to aaron.
I am horrible at this, but I am working on it. I am trying to work on using hash tags too. I wish the edit function allowed me to edit the alt text. I figure that's a future thing to be addressed by the peeps behind the scenes at some point.
10:02 AM - Jul 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}