True-Blue Spoutonian
A
11:05 AM - Jul 23, 2023
Alvin The Chipmunk
A
In response to True-Blue Spoutonian.
My ancestors were Texas slave owners that migrated to AZ after the Civil War. Their racism was transmitted to my father, who was very racist. Oddly, he didn't pass it to us kids. I actually didn't know until he was in his 80's.
11:24 AM - Jul 23, 2023
True-Blue Spoutonian
A
In response to Alvin The Chipmunk.
It’s interesting how humans pass down information, traditions from generation to generation - the good, the bad, & the ugly - and never question or challenge it. At some point, you rejected those beliefs early on. Good on you.
01:29 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Stephanie McMillenSherry
A
I’d be interested to know if there are any experts studying the relationship of abuse to the continuation of racism. I personally see a connection in my own history in how I was raised that trained me up to be passive to injustice. Working through that day by day.
01:45 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
In response to Stephanie McMillenSherry.
I can only speak from my own experiences, I was so badly abused I suffer PTSD to this day & was taken away from my family & made a ward of the state to save my life literally, both my parents were racists, esp my dad, a hateful drunkard, & I grew to be the polar opposite proving you've got free will
08:30 PM - Jul 23, 2023
True-Blue Spoutonian
A
02:36 PM - Jul 23, 2023
True-Blue Spoutonian
A
Not enough characters to say what I need to. You may have to back into your question first. https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/06/06/871023438/this-list-of-books-films-and-podcasts-a...
02:33 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Stephanie McMillenSherry
A
This: As Lauren Michele Jackson wrote for Vulture, "The word [anti-racism] and its nominal equivalent, "anti-racist," suggests something of a vanity project, where the goal is no longer to learn more about race, power, and capital, but to spring closer to the enlightened order of the antiracist."
11:51 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Stephanie McMillenSherry
A
Thanks for these. Have read some. Saw several I’m adding to my reading list. That quote from the list you shared was right on. Good path to stay on as I try to unlearn.
11:53 PM - Jul 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}