Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs
A
Again. Racism is not just the overt. And when it comes down to it in this and several other contexts: impact is way greater than intent.

When called out: Listen, learn, brush yourself off, feel any feelings, and then do better with the new information you now have.
03:57 PM - Jul 23, 2023 (Edited)
Steve Hill
B
In response to Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs.
The very first people to be offended by being called racist thought that racism meant enslaving people! Not looking down upon them, not taking advantage of them and not hating them or killing them! These things were not racist and OK! Racism is in the eyes of the beholder, defined by the oppressed!
05:53 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Joe McCarthy
A
Being cis whiteness in his 40s I know I have biases, but as someone who also potentially has some small level of self-awareness it is something I can continually work on.
05:38 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
I especially like how you say to feel any feelings.

Anybody who gets called out is going to feel mad, hurt, and/or embarrassed. Just work through the feelings before responding, so that you don't dig in deeper.
05:32 PM - Jul 23, 2023 (Edited)
Craig Wiesner
A
But but but....... Yeah. You're right. I've got work to do. Thank you for putting up with me.
05:30 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Schrodinger's Democracy
A
Racism is everywhere.

It is being aware of yours and how you deal with it that is the critical issue.
04:29 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
100%. If I say something that just comes across wrong, please, by all means point it out. I won't take offense and will work on my phrasing or the context I might use certain words in. We grow when errors are, always kindly, pointed out. Let's all work together to make sure everyone feels safe.
04:13 PM - Jul 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}