Frank Bradshaw
A
Sometimes this perplexes me, and to be honest, has kept me up at night…
What happened to these MAGA types that even when the lie is right in front of them, they refuse to acknowledge it and choose to believe whatever they want to believe that fits their narrative?
08:22 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Peggy Stuart #FirstWave
A
In response to Frank Bradshaw.
My guess? I suspect their parents never let them experience failure. They always "fixed" things for them. If we are brought up to expect never to fail, life is going to be very disappointing and frightening, and it will make us very angry and afraid.
01:07 AM - Jul 26, 2023
Amy Magnus
A
they are in the throes of a mass identity crisis

this crisis explains their rage and their wish to cocoon back into the myths of their childhood, where they were going to do better than their parents and George Washington chopped down a cherry tree
09:13 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Christine Ware
A
They don’t want to believe it - the’ve been conditioned to believe it. Hammering the truth at them will not help. It will simply reinforce the lies they’ve been told about the libs taking over. Read up on cults if you want to know more.
08:50 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
It's always been a problem but around Lee Atwater's era, they've gone heavy with "can't prove me wrong" instead of "here's why I'm right." It has literally rewired their brains.
08:19 PM - Jul 25, 2023

Only followers of this user (MaryPocrnic) can see their posts

William Turner
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
07:45 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Lynne Fox
A
In response to William Turner.
That's it, isn't it? Prominent evangelical hucksters prophesied and claimed that God spoke to them and told them that He had annointed Donald Trump and that he would definitely win a second term. God said, so Democrats must have cheated.
Why God allowed that to happen is a question for another day.
07:52 PM - Jul 25, 2023
sheADHD Foundation
A
Cognitive Dissonance. Their heads would implode…
06:57 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Inaya Shujaat
A
In response to sheADHD Foundation.
This. I came here to say this.

Also, it’s a massive ego thing. 🤣
07:47 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Jon Engle
A
It’s called cognitive dissonance.
05:57 PM - Jul 25, 2023
QueensLan
A
The opportunity to see someone, preferably that do not look like them,hurt. They'll risk their lives just so they can see yours be worse off. Never underestimate the power of hate.
02:26 PM - Jul 25, 2023
William Turner
A
In response to QueensLan.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
07:45 PM - Jul 25, 2023
💜 Callie 💜
A
MAGA is the same ol’ hate rebranded.

Supremacy is the rotten core of 🇺🇸.

These folks came out of hiding:

1) Post Civil War/ Reconstruction Era
2) Post Civil Rights Era
3) Post Obama’s Presidency

Notice a pattern? Every time there is racial/social progress, there’s violent, white backlash.
02:02 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to 💜 Callie 💜.
Another salient point
Every 1.5 - 2 generations, they simply rebrand the same old hate to see what sticks.
02:03 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Bradford Freeman
A
Bonhoeffer witnessed the horrors of mob thinking in the 1940s, and was killed by the Nazi regime in April 1945.

https://bigthink.com/think...
01:25 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Alfredo Dominguez
A
They either start thinking or follow another grifter.
12:09 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to Alfredo Dominguez.
That’s an interesting point.
It requires less energy to blindly follow than to be a critical thinker
01:26 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Nina L. Diamond
A
You're thinking logically. Stop doing that. The MAGAs do what they do because they're in a cult. They are completely immune from logic, truth, facts, etc. COMPLETELY. UTTERLY. TOTALLY. There is NO getting through to them. Except maybe with YEARS of psychological de-programming by professionals.
11:14 AM - Jul 25, 2023
BTSdaily7 (sporadic;)
A
What happened is they joined a cult
10:16 AM - Jul 25, 2023

Only followers of this user (THEEangsiegel) can see their posts

Missy McMurray
A
Cognitive dissonance
09:50 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Terry Beard
A
Because they are conditioned to believe in worship of idols as a opposed to the processing of information.
09:33 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to Terry Beard.
Ahhh, I see
The same thing that kept the clergy in power for centuries.
Just Anne’s delivery medium.
09:46 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Magda Teter
A
I would ask them if they allow their children to lie to them? What would they do if their child lied to them? What would they do if their coworker/ employee lied to them? And then pivot to the public figures
09:17 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to Magda Teter.
Remember a huge problem with them is this:
Many believe what they say ISN’T a lie.
Some believe that EVERYTHING they believe is right and true and everyone ELSE is lying, including the MSM that has been the bulkwark to inform people for centuries.
09:23 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Coherent Marketing
A
They live in an information ecosystem that recirculates talking points, unchallenged lies, and disinformation. They need never venture outside of it, and factual discourse is automatically discounted as 'woke'.
09:12 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Reginald Capers
A
1. The continuation of the Lost Cause of the Confederacy.

2. The power of race

3. The shock of Barak Obama as POTUS and the fact that, not only that he couldn't be stopped, but his whole legacy was flawless and opposite of everything they learned.
09:07 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to Reginald Capers.
Oh this gnawed at them
One of the interesting fallouts of Obama was the shield he created and allowed people to move South.
The influx of people to Atlanta turned the state purple.
Lack of state taxes has folks from up north moving the Austin, Dallas and Houston making Texas a purple target
09:09 AM - Jul 25, 2023
オジロット
A
In response to Reginald Capers.
The most correct answer here, IMHO.
11:15 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Sally Jarmuskiewicz
A
I think it started with the first lie. MSM is lying. Only Fox is telling the truth. When they willfully believed only one source was telling the truth, they are easy prey for propaganda.
09:02 AM - Jul 25, 2023 (Edited)
sabreena She/Her
A
Cognitive dissonance, willful ignorance, and fear
08:59 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Amy Yarnall
A
I think it’s an existential question too. Our capacity for denial is truly powerful (I don’t think pride is the root of sin- denial is) Combined w/ trying to make sense of life, mixed together with human prejudice, all built on a national DNA that includes centuries of conspiracy theories …
08:58 AM - Jul 25, 2023
John Owens
A
Why is it so hard for people to say, "I was wrong."?

I think part of the reason are normal levels of embarrassment, hubris, obstinacy. But I think because MAGA became partly or wholly who they were, that admitting they were wrong is more like admitting failure as a person.
08:54 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to John Owens.
There it is
Folks just can’t be wrong…
And they will go down with the ship knowing they are wrong of thinking they are in the right.
08:58 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Stephie Lynn
A
For my Dad, I am pretty sure it's his grief and guit that blinds him. My brother died at 30 years old, he was addicted to prescription pills, my parents did little to stop it. Now he drowns himself in MAGA/QANON bull. I've cut all communication with him.
08:39 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to Stephie Lynn.
I’m sorry you have to deal with the loss of a brother and a parent to this.
My kids (18 and 15) were discussing the cult-like environment that MAGA folks get to swept into.
Good luck and we hope you continue to shine through all of this.
09:06 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Reginald Capers
A
In response to Stephie Lynn.
I get it. It's very difficult going to see my parents nowadays. It's just Fox News all day. I gave up on discussing the issues as it is talking to a brick wall.
09:17 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Razorback Jack
A
Hate. The hate they have been taught thru lies and accusations by people they’ve trusted all their lives. Now, they have politicians who say its okay to hate your neighbor for feeding the hungry or friending a person of different color. Its become an accepred practice to hate who disagrees with them
08:38 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to Razorback Jack.
Sad but true
What has become a sad truth is post-trump, people are being held accountable for their words. Hopefully it trickles up to the McCarthy and Grahams of the world
08:42 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Julie Hughes
A
I think it's the lure of everything shitty being someone else's fault -- especially when the someone's he's blaming don't look like you. Hopefully the burp before a new generation of responsibility. #FeelingOptimistic
08:36 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Frank Bradshaw
A
In response to Julie Hughes.
There lies the rub right
We had a “president” who openly lied to our faces.
There are people who think it’s ok to lie because they saw him get away with it, so can they. The reality is they aren’t and can’t.
What makes me chuckle is when they are called on their lies OR charged, they are shocked.
08:40 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Razorback Jack
A
In response to Julie Hughes.
I think there is a lot more acceptance and harmony in our country as was before the turn of the century. I also think those people and groups who still thrive on hate have found it necessary to get louder and bolder, using fear and threats just to keep their hate campaign in the forefront.
08:44 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Stig & The Grumble
A
08:33 AM - Jul 25, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}