Maeve
A
When I was a kid, I would ride my bike into town every Saturday and go to the library. I spent hours there & then would get a slice of pizza and a soda, browse the shops, get candy and ride my bike home with my treasures. I can't imagine anyone trying to tell me what books I can and cannot read.
08:01 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Maeve.
When I would check out books, my mother had only 1 rule: if I didn't understand something, I was to come and ask her. I rarely didn't understand what I was reading, and she trusted me. If she got a list of books I wasn't allowed to read, she would've bought them for me!
08:04 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Susan Vavrick
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
My mom would have done the same. And she never once told me I couldn’t read something.

That said, she might not have been quite as easygoing if she’d ever known what I read at the next door neighbor’s when I was baby-sitting LOL
08:11 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Maeve
A
In response to Susan Vavrick.
I am GenX, can you just imagine the book she caught me reading and took away?
08:19 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Maeve.
"The Women's Room"? I'm GenX, too, and that was the one book my mom took out of my hands and said I was too young to read. I wish she'd caught me with "Goodbye, Janette" instead; THAT was the book I never should have picked up. 😬
08:21 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Maeve
A
It was Flowers in the Attic. Which 12 yr old me thought was awesome /yikes
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
08:23 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Maeve.
OMG. 😄😄😄 I read that when I was 11! My friend's big sister lent it to us, warning not to tell their mom. (Of course she knew we were reading it; I heard her laughing about it to *my* mom.) It was an even bigger hit with us than Judy Blume's "Forever."
08:26 PM - Feb 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}