Myra Faye Turner
A
PSA: Saying you "don't see color" doesn't impress Black folks. It does the opposite.

How TF can you like & value me when you don't care about race? Your attitude means you don't care about my struggles.

My music, food, traditions, clothing & history - all of these things are related to my race.
Breezy Aussie @Breezy
So much I read on this site is about Race. ‪It never occurs to me what people look like, skin colour, religious or gender preferences. I thank my parents for ensuring I an only interested in your music, food, traditions, clothing, history. Simply put: I don’t care. I like you and value you. ‬
06:04 AM - Aug 26, 2023
01:16 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Carol Nelson
A
In response to Myra Faye Turner.
We must discuss it in order to begin to make change. To me it means white people are just using "I don't see color" as a way to avoid the discussion and as a fake way of trying to make themselves look better than someone else.
04:06 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Myra Faye Turner
A
In response to Carol Nelson.
I'm tired of discussing it.

And it's not like we...Black folks... haven't discussed how offensive the phrase is. Or how unimpressed we are when you say it.
04:22 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Wojciech Kałuża
A
"I don't see race/gender/nationality/religion/etc" reads to me as "I cannot see you as a person unless I train myself to ignore everything that makes you different from me". They pass this off as tolerance, but once unpacked it's a pretty good working definition of bigotry. 🤷
03:43 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Bern Doubt
A
Seems to me that the only time color isn't seen is when it's time to give credit.
03:04 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Mari Tini
A
It's their way of pretending they're not racist.
12:38 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Tonya Alston
A
Exactly this.
12:12 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Deb Bailey
A
It's erasure of the person and their experiences. Who they are and why they are. If you can't see me as I am then what's the point of further interaction?
12:10 PM - Aug 27, 2023
André Ware
A
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾!!!
12:07 PM - Aug 27, 2023
William Turner
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
12:06 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Susan Simon
A
Once, long ago (90’s) a POC @ work told my husband “you don’t see color, do you?” He replied, “of course I see it, I just don’t treat you differently because of it .”We all keep learning.
11:29 AM - Aug 27, 2023
Peggy Stuart #FirstWave
A
I had a story about this. I hope children read it. Maybe we can clarify the difference between color and who people are. We all want to be seen, cared about and respected for who we are.
https://thedollsstorybook....
11:07 AM - Aug 27, 2023 (Edited)
Myra Faye Turner
A
Futhermore, whenever someone says they don't see color, I know two things.

One, they're lying.
Two, this is a person I would never fuck with in real life.
01:19 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Rebecca
A
I have a friend who doesn’t see when people are overweight. Drives me crazy because implicit in this is her judgement that being fat is bad and so it’s something to not see. Even when I’ve been overweight she’s argued with me that I’m not and it’s all in my head.
01:27 PM - Aug 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}