DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 1/12
I have a theory about racism, which I developed after I read the truly outstanding book How To Be An AntiRacist by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi.

In the book, Dr. Kendi explains how he learned he was racist. And classist. And colorist. And sexist. And genderist (if that is a word).
10:21 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 2/12
This black man shared from his heart. I just knew I could do the work too. The work I thought I had already done to be antiracist.

So I started again. I said, out loud, to one of my black friends, "I am racist....
10:23 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 3/12
"I am racist because I was born and raised in a culture of white supremacy. I am white and I have benefited from that culture. My job, for the rest of my life, is to figure out how I'm still racist. Or sexist. Or classist."
10:24 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 4/12
Guess what? It's kind of freeing to take a word that people don't want to call themselves and claim it.

Kendi says "The only way to undo racism is to consistently identify and describe it--and then dismantle it".
10:26 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 5/12
If you absolutely cannot identify it, because you are busy claiming you aren't racist, you absolutely can't identify it, describe it, and dismantle it.

It's ok to say your racist. Follow that with "And I'm going to figure out where it's hidden in my actions or thought processes or choices."
10:27 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 6/12
When you find racist thoughts or actions, you can get rid of them.

Naming racism is powerful. You won't combust into flames if you name it.
10:29 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 7/12
I took this theory to my book club. One mixed race women, the rest of us white. Some people were very uncomfortable sitting with the idea that you should claim to be racist. Others were more open to the idea. They agreed that you can't fix what you can't see.
10:30 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 8/12
After the meeting, our mixed race member just looked at me and said, "thank you from the bottom of my heart". She said that it would mean a lot if we could circle back in a couple of months and touch base with everyone, to see how that idea was sitting with them.
10:31 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 9/12
Most of the women in that book club are still with us. We've started to hear stories, before the 6 month touch base, like this one: I realized that when I moved my purse to the other side of my body that I was telling myself that I do it to keep it from bumping into other pedestrians. But I only
10:33 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 10/12
ever moved my purse out of "consideration" when a black man or men were walking toward me. This made me wonder if I have bought into the "black men are scary and dangerous trope".

Isn't that spectacular? Would she have asked herself this if she didn't say, "I'm racist, now where am I so?"
10:35 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 11/12
Fellow white people, instead of saying, typing, or thinking Not Me, why not think "yes, me". Maybe not the exact instance someone is describing. Maybe not all day every day.

But we are steeped in a culture of white supremacy and false ideas of superiority. We can't destroy what we refuse to see.
10:37 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
thread 12/12
Be bold, bloody, and resolute, as the child tells Macbeth. Go forth. You might make some mistakes; that's ok. Live and learn.

You've got this. Change and be changed.
#BeAnAntiRacist
10:39 PM - Aug 27, 2023
André Ware
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾!!! "Thank You!" for sharing your story! WE all have work to do!
12:28 PM - Sep 10, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to André Ware.
Thanks for reading it. 💚
04:11 PM - Sep 10, 2023
GRANDma isn't Right
A
An excellent book!
01:35 AM - Sep 02, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan
A
Thank you for sharing this thread and how you are doing the work. Each day for me is an opportunity to learn- and particularly deprogram myself from the racist, classist, separatist, segregated indoctrination I received growing up yt in the Midwest. Thanks for sharing your journey.
09:10 AM - Aug 30, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan.
I appreciate your comments, especially since I grew up in the Midwest too. I was blind to it when I lived there, partly because I was young and partly because we didn't really have the same terminology to have the discussion.
11:28 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Blackity Black
A
I adore kendi. I have been trying to chomp through this book on audible for a year before I broke down and bought it last month.
https://spoutible.com/thre...
02:14 AM - Aug 30, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Blackity Black.
My boys read Stamped in school and I read the "adult" version. You might also enjoy this great YouTube clip from The Laura Flanders Show. His voice sounds so kind!
Ibram X. Kendi: How to Make America Antiracist? - YouTube

The fight over what can and can’t be taught in schools is shaping up to be one of the most controversial issues in a pivotal mid-term election year. White vo...

11:35 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Superteach
A
In response to Blackity Black.
You should get the audiobook of the YA version, coauthored and narrated by Jason Reynolds, through libro.fm. Jason does such a great job of translating the difficult concepts of Stamped From the Beginning for young people, and he's such a great narrator.
05:06 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Young Lesbian Dre
A
Growth & change aren't always easy. But you're doing the work. That matters a lot. Speaking up about it & being an example is great. Encouraging other white people to do the same is the best. Good luck on your continuing journey.
10:35 PM - Aug 29, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Young Lesbian Dre.
Thank you for your well wishes. It's been an interesting journey and one of my lessons is that I'm closer to the start of this trip than I thought. That's OK.
11:17 PM - Aug 29, 2023
my name means God's grace
A
Question: you stated that " Dr. Kendi explains how he learned he was racist. And classist. And colorist. And sexist. And genderist (if that is a word." Could you possibly state how? What I'd really like to know is Dr. Kendi's definition of racism.
Thank you for sharing
10:34 PM - Aug 29, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to my name means God's grace.
Well, how he does it is the point of the whole book. It's part memoir. But he reads, talks to people, grows. It's really really powerful to read something that is soul-searching.
10:36 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Susan Simon
A
This is wonderful! I've been working on this journey a lot lately and you have named it exactly. Start from "I am racist" and find the nooks and crannies where it shows up. Then stop and do no more harm. And vocalize what you are doing. Bravo. A growing community. We can do this.
10:23 PM - Aug 29, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Susan Simon.
Agree! I can honestly say that book changed my life. I read the 1st 4 chapters, closed it, went and got a pencil, and started on page 1. I treated it like a college textbook that I wanted to learn from by underlining, making stars ***, and jotting down ideas.
10:26 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Crystal
A
Powerful 💖👍🏾
09:59 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Rnsilverlake
A
Thank you for sharing
09:49 PM - Aug 29, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Rnsilverlake.
Thank you for reading it.
09:50 PM - Aug 29, 2023

Only followers of this user (CarolineCalcote) can see their posts

DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Caroline C.
I am proud of anyone who does this tough work. It's hard to admit that because we were steeped in it, we were warped by it. I had a big shift in understanding after I read #The1619Project chapter on the Atlanta freeway bypass.
09:44 PM - Aug 29, 2023
ScorpioDawn
A
Thank you for your words and experience. This book is now on my tbr list.
09:37 PM - Aug 29, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to ScorpioDawn.
I hope you will as moved by his vulnerability and thoughtful approach to these issues as I was.
09:52 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Renee Tang
A
Thank you for speaking up and for being an ally. ❤️
09:20 PM - Aug 29, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Renee Tang.
Live and learn!
09:22 PM - Aug 29, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}