Cynthia Williams
A
I appreciate the concern spouters are having that the platform might die if more VIPs (aren't we all VIPs?) don't start using #Spoutible on a more regular basis.

This thread is my trip down Twitter/X memory lane as it pertains to Twitter 1.0's growth. I hope this helps ppl not panic just yet.
08:15 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Kelly Maneman
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
Great thread - thank you!

I didn't join spoutible to see what "notable" people had to say, I joined to see what people as anonymous as myself had to say. I barely spout original content at all, but I love all the random topics that pop up.
11:55 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Kelly Maneman.
There are many flying-under-the-radar experts on Spoutible who post a lot of awesome content. I hope you are doing the same with the expertise and hobbies that you have. 😀👍🏾🔥
12:02 PM - Sep 03, 2023 (Edited)
Dee Nelson
A
Thanks so much for this thread! I was there for early days of Twitter too, but your perspective as a Black woman pioneer there filled in so many gaps of understanding that time.
11:28 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Dee Nelson.
Glad to share info with you, Dee. Many people think Twitter began when journalists, celebrities, and politicians started using it, but there was a whole period of time before that where Twitter was similar to where Spoutible is today in terms of limited usage.
11:48 AM - Sep 03, 2023 (Edited)
Iz Here
A
I think the notion that blue ☑️s drive sign-ups or traffic on @Spoutible is oft over-stated. That might be true on algorithmically-driven platforms but, in my experience, the quality of engagement here is what defines & differentiates this platform & that comes mostly from reg folks here not celebs.
10:22 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Iz Here.
I agree with you. But reality is most people want to be in places that also razzle dazzle. Blue checks are the most visible razzle dazzle that people see and want to follow. It's a feature of human nature.
10:51 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
It seems like a lot of these suggestions miss the point that for many users Twitter wasn't that great and we don't want to recreate that experience here.
09:47 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
I was one of the 1st Black users on Twitter when I originally joined in 2007. I was looking for somewhere new to hang out online. Facebook was becoming hugely popular but filled with high school "friends" who suddenly wanted to reconnect and pass notes of gossip to each other. Yuck!
08:22 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
Twitter 1.0 in 2007 was like boarding a cruise ship full of geeky ppl, mostly white males in tech. When I joined Twitter, there were no ✔️. No trending hashtags. No accounts w/100K followers. No videos. No Spaces. Nothing but messages between users. No Black users.

I was a Twitter unicorn.
08:30 AM - Sep 03, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}