Bun the Franky
A
thread 1/11
Had some time driving my enby over to school just now and thought of a few things I wanted to say, directed at the prison rape jokes are funny gang.

I honestly never meant this to be about me or wanting sympathy. Thanks you all though for your kind messages. A thread of unknown legth coming.
08:21 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 2/11
If you find prison rape jokes funny, have you ever stopped to consider why? What the comical aspect is behind laughing about a man violating another man through sexual violence?

You know how many people handle discomfort? Humor. Look it up.
08:24 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 3/11
When you make these jokes, you are using humor to express discomfort about a situation you never want to be in, but also can find "funny" when it happens to the "wrong" person, just so long as it's not you.
08:25 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 4/11
Do you know why you find the thought so uncomfortable?

Here's it is:

Every man's fear is to be treated by another man the way *many* men treat women. It's behind the rape jokes. The homophobia. The "he hit on me so I killed him" defense.

We don't want to be treated by men like men treat women.
08:28 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 5/11
Yeah bro, let me stop you there. We know "not all men."

The bottom line is that prison rape is emasculating, and it's emasculating because we have asserted for ourselves some kind of sociosexual power imbalance that we never, ever, ever want to be on the wrong side of.
08:30 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 6/11
So we treat it as humorous when a man raped a man. Because haha, men do that, but when it's another man and we don't like that guy, hilarious! Because fuck that guy. But obviously, we don't condone that treatment of women, we are all enlightened and shit.
08:32 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 7/11
But when you treat any kind of sexual violence as a joke, you are supporting rape culture, the culture that says hey, that happens because (not me, but those other) men do that stuff. So haha, if it's gonna happen, might as well make it funny, right?
08:33 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 8/11
When you make something into a joke, you are fostering an environment in which sexual violence can be excused because who is gonna take it all that serious is it's a joke? And besides, that guy deserved it. You've just thrown your hat in with rape culture.
08:36 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 9/11
When you make sexual violence funny, you are telling every victim that their experience doesn't matter, that what happened to them is simply the punchline to a funny joke you thought up because it makes your terror that it could be you feel better.
08:38 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 10/11
Well, it is quite a few of us, dipshit. And a whole fucking lot more women. At least half of the women you know.

It's not fucking funny, not now, not ever. Maybe check what you're doing to make sure other men don't rape, instead of using it to make a joke.
08:40 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
thread 11/11
Anyway, end rant. I probably got some shit wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it. I'm just not down with these jokes anymore. I'll call your ass out.
08:41 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Ellie Byrd
A
In response to Bun the Franky.
I am so sorry Uncle!! Sexual assault is never ok to joke about and the pain it causes is terrible....I'm sorry you understand that pain...I hope you realize you're loved and supported and not judged for anything that has happened to you!
08:20 AM - Sep 07, 2023
Laura Spouts N Spurts
A
Thanks for calling this out Frank. Sexual abuse is never funny. Joking about it, minimizing it, is not ok.
#MeToo
10:34 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Hoi Pollois
A
Same logic as this:

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts

You can't be against rape except ... Either you are or you aren't.
10:31 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Insley James
A
Adding another genuine (with lump in throat) thank you, Frank. Happy you're in our world.
10:02 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Ang Darkstar
A
I appreciate you and your insight. Thank you.
09:48 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Susan Simon
A
Point needs to be made. I don't care how awful a person is in their soul, sexual or any other kind of physical violence is not funny! Why is violence to another amusing to you? I get rooting for Karma, but treateing potential violence to someone as funny has terrible fall out.
09:45 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
I called someone out last week for making a joke about it. You did a much better job of identifying why it's not funny. Will be happy to echo your thread.
09:41 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
In response to Deb Prothero.
Thanks Deb
09:42 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Janet aka April
A
Thank you, Frank.
09:37 PM - Sep 06, 2023
9Gen
A
Thank you. 💞
09:06 PM - Sep 06, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
Good breakdown, Frank. Very insightful.
09:05 PM - Sep 06, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMaryJoan
A
Thank you for calling this out so clearly
09:03 PM - Sep 06, 2023
Myles Higgins ?
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
08:52 PM - Sep 06, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}