Mary Locker
A
I fully agree. I refuse to use them, even if I only have one item, even if I have to stand longer In line. They are a job killer, and that's not OK with me.
R H @AtreyuBastian
07:30 PM - Sep 11, 2023
07:55 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Phoenician
A
In response to Mary Locker.
The perfect response remains:

Employee, to customer in checkout line: “You can use the Self-Checkout over here. It’s fast and convenient……”

Customer: “No thanks, I don’t work here.”
10:01 PM - Sep 11, 2023
MaryB Mtv
A
Let's not talk about the store detective who stopped me for shoplifting when one of those malfunctioned in 2002. Thank goodness for a reasonable store manager and a notable store clerk who had helped me. No use for self checkout!
09:33 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Mary Locker
A
In response to MaryB Mtv.
Yikes! So glad it worked out OK, but it must have put your adrenaline through the roof in the moment.
09:34 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Jonathan Berman
A
Then why do they have 10+ registers and only 1 or 2 open?
09:10 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Mary Locker
A
In response to Jonathan Berman.
That has not been my experience with the stores in my area. With some though (Walmart, for instance), it may be a move to push people to self checkout so they can cut down on cashiers. I don't have fact-checkable answers. I just know what my own choices are. I shop where staff are valued.
09:19 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Haruka (CLOSED)
A
Sorry, but my wife and I prefer self checkouts. They’re great for those of us with social anxiety issues (especially with people not masking anymore.) There are always employees standing in the area to assist, but they’re so simple to use, we rarely need the help.
09:01 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Mary Locker
A
In response to Haruka (CLOSED).
And this is why a well run establishment will offer people choices. What I object to is a store herding people to self checkouts by not staffing enough cashier aisles.
09:06 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Socio-gen
A
Shared via a device that ended entire fields of work.

Most stores with self-checkouts are actually *hiring* more staff, but for different areas of customer service, such as processing & packing online pickup/delivery orders and stocking.

Time and tech move on, and so do occupations.
08:42 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Mary Locker
A
In response to Socio-gen.
I hear you. And I know change and tech progress are inevitable. But I'm old school and like my shopping with real humans at brick and mortar places. I'm not saying I never order anything online, but it's usually used books because almost every wonderful bookstore I used to frequent has closed. Sigh.
08:55 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Nope
A
So many stores here don't even have human checkers at all. One tried to stop me to check my receipt, I told them if they want eyes on my purchasesto hire a cashier, and kept walking. Luckily they didn't go after me.
08:00 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Mary Locker
A
In response to Nope.
😄 I hope it made them stop and think. But . . .
08:18 PM - Sep 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}