Melody Pond (they/them)
A
thread 1/3
My sole source of income is SSI. I don’t have a bank account (many poor don’t) I have direct express, but still often use cash & save my change to roll. A family member has to exchange at their bank. The only other option is Coinstar, which charges up to 12.5% + .50, & is a poverty tax. …cont
Professor Kyle @blackcatprose
I'm not "that guy" – almost never carry cash. But it's not fair or right that businesses have to pay 2-3%+ of every sale to huge corporations. If it's more convenient for shoppers to pay by card they should pay the fee – & we do pass it along at the store, which has made some folks go back to cash.
01:18 PM - Sep 18, 2023
01:28 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
thread 2/3
Lots of people on SSI (& other gov’t benefits deposited via Direct Express) go to an ATM 1st of the month to withdraw all the money that was deposited (you get one free ATM withdrawal,) because it’s generally not trusted that the gov’t won’t take the money back. Cash isn’t dead for poor ppl.
01:32 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
thread 3/3
Here’s a little info on SSI, just fyi

https://spoutible.com/thre...
02:24 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Yvette
A
If the Government were to discontinue printing Cash it would be a huge problem for many people, especially the poor and people living on the margins of Society. When you pay by card (debit or Credit) the government knows every transaction. Cash is much more private. I don’t trust bitcoin.
In response to Melody Pond (they/them).
01:59 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
In response to Yvette.
Very true
02:08 PM - Sep 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}