Christopher Bouzy
A
Once again, it is a summary that is literally located on the unaltered thread. The user has immediate access to the thread and can determine whether the summary is accurate or not. Some are acting like AI is rewriting their thread. Users can ignore the summary and read the unaltered thread.
John Frost @johnfrost
Obituaries, mysteries, stories with a funny ending, etc. This stance of yours that all those creative works should be summarized, sometimes with hallucinations or inaccuracies, by an AI is not friendly to the author or their intent. Why are you saying no to a fix?
05:47 PM - Oct 04, 2023
06:12 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
Maybe in the future the summary can denote if the thread is fiction or an obituary (?) to help avoid spoilers (?! still confused by the obituary designation), though as someone pointed out, the author can warn of spoilers at the top of the spout.
07:41 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Ben Peterson
A
Perhaps it's worth saying it this: the summary is opt-in for the reader. If I know an author or a poet or some other luminary is writing a thread I'm not going to click that summary link. Why would I? I came for the headliner not the opener.
07:24 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Ben Peterson
A
Heard about the feature, was skeptical thinking it would be obtrusive as a reader. Tried it and seriously it was fine. The people I follow write threads worth reading so I'm not going to let an AI summary change that. Not like "thank you robot, fuck you prolific poster"
06:39 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Changing Plumbob
A
Perhaps if an author is concerned the summary will give spoilers for the thread, they can mention this in the first spout of the thread for users to see? Like how some will announce spoilers before discussing the latest episode of a show. Something simple like, summary may give away plot, seems fine
06:23 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Liz Adams
A
In response to Changing Plumbob.
The hitch is that people are likely to have read the summary, got the spoilers etc, before seeing the first spout. The summary is being given the first position. If it were after the first spout, what you suggest would probably work well.
07:28 PM - Oct 04, 2023
violet flame16
A
Bouzy, you have the patience of a saint 😇
06:23 PM - Oct 04, 2023
violet flame16
A
Writer can include a warning: Spoiler Alert: Do not read summary as you will ruin the surprise ending.
#summaryspout
06:21 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Kettlecorn
A
In response to violet flame16.
invoke the "Shyamalan clause" as an alert to surprise endings?
06:50 PM - Oct 04, 2023

@cbouzy deleted this reply.

06:17 PM - Oct 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}