STEM TheBleeding
A
Folks, I'm going to give you the same advice I used to give my Marines -

"Not one time in history has anyone ever been killed by overdosing on situational awareness."

If you're going to be out today - be mindful of what's going on and how to get out of an area quickly if need be.
08:12 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Roslyn Holcomb
A
In response to STEM TheBleeding.
I’ve been teaching my oldest SA for years now. He’s 18 and thinks he’s invincible as they all do, but at the very least he’s able to tell me what he’s supposed to do. Don’t surge forward. Stay in the perimeter. Watch your back. Watch your friends backs, etc…
10:09 AM - Feb 25, 2023
STEM TheBleeding
A
In response to Roslyn Holcomb.
"avoid an emotional response to an emotional stimulus" is a potential lifesaver.

Knowing where your primary AND secondary exits are every time you enter a building is another key piece of good SA.
10:20 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Jeff Sharp
A
It’s horrendous that a post like this needs to be made for simply going out and living one’s life. But here we are. Thanks, and be vigilant!
09:16 AM - Feb 25, 2023
R. Shag
A
But why should we HAVE to
09:14 AM - Feb 25, 2023
STEM TheBleeding
A
In response to R. Shag.
Because up until the moment that their speech becomes an action that breaks the law - it's protected by the same laws that protect your speech.

And the best thing you can do in their eyes is engage them. They will have their own film crews and release a narrative that makes THEM the victim.
09:49 AM - Feb 25, 2023
STEM TheBleeding
A
Also, One of their favorite tactics is right out of the " "Infantry Squad Operations in Urban Environments" handbook.

The envelopment ambush.

Small squad A engages target, then slowly retreats back to a point, luring the target into an area where larger squad B can cut off the escape.
08:48 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Frank G
A
100%. My kids know they can’t go anywhere with sandals or open toed shoes. Just in case they need to run. We have a plan every time we go in public in the case of a mass shooting. This the reality of leaving in TX and the US.
08:45 AM - Feb 25, 2023
STEM TheBleeding
A
In response to Frank G.
The acronym SAME is a life saver in a mass shooting situation.

Seek Cover.
Assess the situation.
Move low and from cover to cover.
Evade and survive.

Sad reality that the lessons I was taught in the Marines are just as useful back home.

If not more so.
10:25 AM - Feb 25, 2023
STEVE
A
Great advice, semper fi
08:35 AM - Feb 25, 2023
STEM TheBleeding
A
In response to STEVE.
Advice that I wish I didn't have to give, if we're honest. But the way our laws are written, where up until they commit an actual crime they're protected by the 1st amendment - its necessary.
08:42 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Ground Control
A
As I like to say around here, safety first.
08:17 AM - Feb 25, 2023
STEM TheBleeding
A
In response to Ground Control.
Yep. But good SA is more prophylactic than just "safety".

SA is knowing the layout of where you're going, avoiding bottlenecks, recognizing that these idiots have no stamina so their numbers will rise and fall throughout the day as they get tired, drunk, etc.
08:22 AM - Feb 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}