(laura) elsen
A
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #AntiracistTalkingPoint

Given Kendi’s explanation of how we can be racist in one moment and antiracist in another, how will you apply the idea of re-learning and undoing in your everyday life?

#SBBC #Antiracist
11:06 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Bev Turner
A
One of the biggest lessons learned was to stop saying " I am color blind". Used to say that because, I thought, wrongly, that I was conveying that I didn't care what color someone's skin was. Did not take into account that it was actually making POC feel invisible and should celebrate all colors.
In response to (laura) elsen.
11:12 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Aly C
A
In response to Bev Turner.
yes. I thought the same. But the more I read and hear people’s stories, the more I learn. I can only hope it makes me an even better person. 🙂
05:05 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Barb says Liberal Media is a Myth
A
I was guilty of the same thing. I thought I was "woke" thinking that. It's what I was taught in school. I think the intentions were good but misguided.
02:21 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Bev Turner
A
In response to Barb says Liberal Media is a Myth.
Yep.
05:29 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Kos
A
In response to Barb says Liberal Media is a Myth.
Same here - in fact, it was Stephen Colbert (on his old show, where he pretended to be a Tea Party Conservative) who first taught me how f'd up that was.
10:18 PM - Nov 11, 2023 (Edited)
Barbara Reid
A
I definitely used to think this way, Bev! 🎯
02:07 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Missy McMurray
A
Great point. Never thought of it in that way.
01:48 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Bev Turner
A
In response to Missy McMurray.
Me either but is makes sense once it's pointed out. Luckily, I read his book, years ago, and stopped saying that phrase.
01:58 PM - Nov 11, 2023
PS Annie
A
This was the biggest step for me too Bev.
12:27 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Bev Turner
A
In response to PS Annie.
Thought I'd say something because I think a lot of us white folks don't understand this. Luckily I read the books years and years ago and have stopped using that phrase.
12:47 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Tracy I
A
I’m familiar with the book, have read parts but did not read it for this month, so I was going to shut up. But this hits on a major way that we fail. Learning to celebrate differences vs “accepting” or “not seeing “. I was definitely raised to “not see” as if it was a good thing.
11:24 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Bev Turner
A
In response to Tracy I.
Same Tracy.
11:32 AM - Nov 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}