Bowerydoll
A
thread 1/3
My dad fought in World War 2. He was honorably discharged. Like other Black vets, he came home from fighting fascism to a country steeped in jim crow apartheid. Too many people just assume that every vet received the GI Bill and was immediately propelled into a comfortable, middle class life. My
11:52 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 2/3
dad was one of the lucky ones who was able to secure his benefits, but he went through vitriolic hell trying to get a home in Chicago. If you've never heard about the troubles Black vets had with getting their GI Bill benefits, it's past time to learn. Chi hullo li iki🖐🏾♥️🕯
11:52 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Bowerydoll.
Great photo. It reminded me of a friend of mine. (I played ball with his brother.) Here's a link if you're interested: 'https://www.nba.com/clippe...
11:41 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Trauma Epidemic.
You'll need to remove the single quote on the end to make the link valid so it will load.
11:44 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Deborah Conway
A
I forgot to add, your dad very handsome ❤️
01:24 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Deborah Conway.
Thanks, Deb🖐🏾♥️I always thought so, too. He was always a hulk of a man to me as a kid. Over 6 feet tall with a build like a football player. He was a superman to me.
01:41 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Randall Krause
B
Great looking man. Thanks for sharing.
12:51 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Happy4uu&u
A
Great photo and such a warm, caring and inviting smile.

Thanking your dad for his service.

Giving your blood and life for this country matters not for those who were used as borrowed and meaningless pawns as prejudice against them. I am happy he served with distinction nonetheless.
12:00 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Happy4uu&u.
Thank you🖐🏾 My dad was such a complicated man. His experiences in the war and living under jim crow at home had a deep, weathering impact on him. He rarely smiled in front of me. I love this picture so much because it gives me a glimpse of another side of him.
12:15 PM - Nov 11, 2023 (Edited)
Jane Morrisson
A
I did not know this until recently. My parents, both veterans, went to the University of New Hampshire under their GI benefits and lived pretty well because they each had benefits. This is why reparations are due to the individuals that were cheated. Shameful.
11:55 AM - Nov 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}