Bowerydoll
A
thread 1/3
My dad fought in World War 2. He was honorably discharged. Like other Black vets, he came home from fighting fascism to a country steeped in jim crow apartheid. Too many people just assume that every vet received the GI Bill and was immediately propelled into a comfortable, middle class life. My
11:52 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 2/3
dad was one of the lucky ones who was able to secure his benefits, but he went through vitriolic hell trying to get a home in Chicago. If you've never heard about the troubles Black vets had with getting their GI Bill benefits, it's past time to learn. Chi hullo li iki🖐🏾♥️🕯
11:52 AM - Nov 11, 2023
MaxxMilly Browne 808
A
In response to Bowerydoll.
Thank you for sharing, and a huge thank you to your Dad for his service.
01:03 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to MaxxMilly Browne 808.
Thanks, Maxx🖐🏾♥️
01:12 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Deborah Conway
A
Thank you for sharing ❤️your father’s story @bowerydoll . Happy Veterans Day.
Yes, Black soldiers faced some much when they came back 💔
12:12 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Whoa!
A
Thanks so much to your dad for his service. My grandfather was a WWII vet also. Not only were Black soldiers not given the same benefits when they got out, but while they were in their experience was different too. 😥
11:57 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Whoa!.
Hell yes🔥 My dad NEVER talked about the war in front of me. Never. It was only after his death that his brother explained the hell they went through during their service. I cried so hard. Stories of German POWs being treated better than Black soldiers. White soldiers teaching them the n word and
12:05 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Whoa!.
2) German POWs teaching the white U.S. soldiers how to say the n word in German & their raucous laughter & disrespect in front of my dad and other Black soldiers. Being spit on by the POWs &
being called the n word & "boy" by white soldiers. My dad & his brothers went thru hell. Utter disrespect.
12:09 PM - Nov 11, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}