Barbara Edelman
A
does anyone who owns books really ever sort them by color OR shelf them spine inwards & pages facing out? or is it strictly for insta & shelter magazine photos?
05:14 PM - Nov 11, 2023
K Ray
A
In response to Barbara Edelman.
I shelve by subject matter - African American History, Colonial America/American Revolution, Texas History, Civil War, Plays/History of Theatre, Political Biographies, a few comedy related books, and novels by family & friends.
02:28 AM - Nov 13, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to K Ray.
are you disciplined about maintaining it or do you have to do it over once a year?
09:10 AM - Nov 13, 2023
Viata Chew
A
One of my best friends arranges her books in a rainbow.
12:00 PM - Nov 12, 2023
Starr
A
I love books and collect them to read them. They are arranged by genre, then author. I can find what I want easily. They are decorative, but definitely not just decorations! Arranging books by colour looks to me like they are just a decoration.
10:25 AM - Nov 12, 2023
DeAnna Munchkin
A
I have mine organized by genre and then by author. Although on a feature shelf I will put large coffee style books in the middle of the shelf and then organize the genre/author on either side.
10:15 AM - Nov 12, 2023 (Edited)
Pamela
A
Nope. Upstairs separated by categories and then alphabetical by author.
Downstairs by author. Well, they were before the flood. I still haven’t put stuff back yet.

In the kitchen are all my cookbooks on 2 narrow(er) shelves. No order except the cocktail books are kind of together.
10:03 AM - Nov 12, 2023 (Edited)
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Pamela.
what flood?
10:17 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Adrian James
A
I don't move them around, so I can usually put my hands on what I am looking for.
The only arranged books are my paperback classics, which are in a bookcase by the front door. That way I can grab a book for my commute on the way out.
10:01 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Deborah Conway
A
When we lived in our big house, the books were by genre. Now in a small apartment, it’s for looks by color.
09:43 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Annie Bee Good
A
How could I find the book I wanted? I sort fiction alphabetically by author's last name and non-fiction by topic. I stick author biographies at one end of their section of works.
09:41 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Dıanna
A
In response to Annie Bee Good.
This is the only correct method.
Adults & childrens sections.

(I may or may not be organized enough to attain said perfection.
That isn't the point. 😉)
10:53 PM - Nov 12, 2023 (Edited)
Tracy I
A
well, we have a wall with 4 x6 foot shelves. They’re stuffed and the books are double stacked. There’s a row behind each front row. We used to have them alphabetized but our nephew helping with dusting killed that. I guess it wouldn’t be any harder to find one if arranged by color.
09:35 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Tané Tachyon (she/her)
A
In the early days of the pandemic, I was enjoying watching virtual author-book-tour-type events on Zoom, and was surprised to see on the shelves behind some of the authors that sorting-by-color is an actual thing for actual serious authors. Maybe just for a high Room Rater score, but still!
06:19 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Tané Tachyon (she/her).
damn! really??
06:20 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Li Milla4
A
A spine inward has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my entire life.

How are you supposed to find a title if the books are inverted?
06:02 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Li Milla4.
that’s a question i want answered. if you actually read them, HOW DO CHOOSE ONE?? cuz you can’t see the damn title!
06:05 PM - Nov 11, 2023

Only followers of this user (CarolineCalcote) can see their posts

Danalibrariana
A
No!!!! In my librarian circles designers who suggest this have been labeled as monsters!
05:17 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Danalibrariana.
it’s idiotic! but trends can be confusing; are there people really doing this?? i want to know!
05:21 PM - Nov 11, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}