Leta McCollough Seletzky
A
Just FYI, and as an author, I’m pretty sure I’m seeing this with my forthcoming book already:

“Anonymous reviewers have been able to submit one-star reviews for books that have not yet been published or for publications they clearly have not read, the authors said.”

http://bit.ly/3kBQAhC
10:54 PM - Feb 28, 2023
bardsandsages
A
In response to Leta McCollough Seletzky.
Rating a book 1 meant "no interest" 5 meant "high interest." If you didn't want to see specific genres recommended to you, you would rate those books 1. Amazon never accounted for this when they bought Goodreads. Many old users still use this method of rating.
09:21 AM - Mar 01, 2023
bardsandsages
A
Unless something changed, it may not be trolls. Originally when you first created an account you would be presented with a list of books to rank. Goodreads used your rank to determine recommendations. The scale never meant what authors thought it meant.
09:19 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Dr K
A
Who has/makes time to hate like these trolls?🤦🏾‍♀️
09:10 AM - Mar 01, 2023
M Kaz
A
I looked at your book on Goodreads and it has two 1-star ratings and 20 5-star ratings, all pre-publication. It's legit to complain about trolling, but don't complain about 1-star reviewers who haven't read the book while ignoring the many more 5-star reviewers who haven't. And don't forget ARCs.
08:43 AM - Mar 01, 2023
M Kaz
A
In response to M Kaz.
Pre-pub reviews are not the problem; it's a benefit of Goodreads that they allow ARCs to be reviewed. The problem is targeting a book/author for things other than book content. Gather the evidence and present the facts to GR. Make a GR group to discuss the problem. Take positive, meaningful action.
08:47 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Nyobi's Mom
A
something's wrong with people.
07:56 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Dwoodmom-Boomer for Biden
A
People can be so evil. I'm so sorry. I did pre-order your book. It sounds like a fascinating story. I can't wait to read it!
07:54 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Thimble
A
Goodreads is so shady. I'm sorry this is happening to you.
Almost every one of my books has one-star reviews on Goodreads. Never a written explanation, just one-star by some rando.
07:26 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Heidi Jon Schmidt
A
Intimidation is their method and they often have bot/Russian help that encourages them. It is everywhere and growing.
06:39 AM - Mar 01, 2023
David Birney
A
Obviously harassment is bad and should not be allowed. As a reader I actually rate one star reviews pretty highly in terms of it's either obvious they never read it and I ignore, or they get so mad about something (violence/sex) that I know I want to read that book.
06:12 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Tammy Will
A
I look forward to reading your book. I am telling anyone who will listen about it.
05:29 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Leta McCollough Seletzky
A
In response to Tammy Will.
Thanks so much, Tammy--I really appreciate it
05:38 PM - Mar 01, 2023
Jess Martin
A
It’s difficult when literally anyone can start reviewing your book without your choice, knowledge or any recourse. Do you break the fourth wall and start interacting with the readers? Call them out publicly for biased one stars? Hard when there’s no moderation…

#goodreads
02:45 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Huxenstein
A
wow, that's awful
12:24 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Jay Marsden
A
There's a lot of prior evidence of this. GR is not a reliable review site. No reason to name names and drag up the past, but GR and parent Amazon have no remaining credibility due to poor moderation, IMHO. These authors are absolutely correct.
12:18 AM - Mar 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}