Fiona Mary
A
thread 1/3
Our adult son has been living with us for the past year. He sometimes gets frustrated with me misspeaking or my short term memory not being what he remembers from ten years ago. Tonight I tried to explain that living with chronic pain for almost 30 years and having chemotherapy 8 years ago means my
12:37 AM - Nov 26, 2023
Fiona Mary
A
thread 2/3
brain is somewhat damaged. It means I will make mistakes with my words and I will not always remember what he told me a couple of hours ago. To really remember I either need to put something in my calendar or say it aloud two or three times. I#SpoutibleChronicIllness #LifewithRheumatoidArthritis
Fiona Mary
A
thread 3/3
I am hoping this will help. Being invisibly disabled means I need to keep teaching family and friends what I can and can’t do.
darryl
A
In response to Fiona Mary.
Yes. This happens.
Sorry that you have this challenge.
He may feel denial. Open discussion of how you best manage your day may speed the process of him accepting
09:38 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Fiona Mary
A
In response to darryl.
We’ve been working on that. Trying to keep the lines of communication open and being clear on how I am doing and what I need.
09:48 PM - Dec 20, 2023

@fionamary deleted this reply.

04:41 PM - Dec 14, 2023
Deborah Conway
A
❤️❤️
01:52 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
Best wishes in getting this to sink in. I think it is hardest with close family. I will admit to NEVER remembering how hard of hearing Bob became & trotting slightly in front of him, chattering, despite him telling me eleventy million times that he couldn't hear me when I did that.
01:46 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Madrigal Rose
A
It may take some time, but I am optimistic he will get it. It may require many gentle reminders on your part. It's hard sometimes to adjust. I make those mistakes myself. 😔
09:20 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Fiona Mary
A
In response to Madrigal Rose.
I agree. He has a very good heart and I know he will get there. Tonight he made supper as he knew I was having a crap day.
09:22 PM - Nov 26, 2023
QueensLan
A
Not to be mean, but 10 yrs ago you probably didn't think you'd be sheltering him. perhaps your adult son should have living arrangements where he's more comfortable. His dislike is adding to your illness and mental stability to cope. He should be your help and not your distress.
01:36 AM - Nov 26, 2023
Fiona Mary
A
In response to QueensLan.
He went through a really bad time a year ago, lost his job, fell into depression, and asked us for help. He doesn’t do this everyday, and he has been a great help. I think within the next 6 months or so he’ll be back to living on his own again.
08:46 AM - Nov 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}