Roxxy Riot
A
thread 1/8
Ok.. so, I've been kicking this idea around in my head for a very long time.
It's mostly empty space, so I had plenty of room.

I wanted to talk about the idea of passing culture and how damaging it is to trans people.
08:51 AM - Dec 04, 2023 (Edited)
Roxxy Riot
A
thread 2/8
I know, I hear you already, "But Roxxy. You're attractive, you post pics all the time here and act like you're some kind of model. What the fuck can you possibly know about the damages of passing culture"

And yeah, i hear you. I fully admit I can't even begin to know other people's experiences.
08:51 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Roxxy Riot
A
thread 3/8
So I think the best thing to do is just talk about myself (obviously, have you met me?)

Prepare for vulnerable Roxxy, it doesn't happen often, enjoy it.
Roxxy Riot
A
thread 4/8
If you're a woman, I imagine a lot of this will sound familiar to you.. misogyny really is a bitch.

I compare myself to impossible standards, constantly.
I was born male, I went through a male puberty.. there's a lot of things about my body shape that are just different than cis girls.
Roxxy Riot
A
thread 5/8
"Look at that girl, she has hips. Why don't you? Look at that girl, why don't you look like that? What's wrong with you?"
It's exhausting.

I spend so much time looking at myself.
Noticing everything that isn't feminine enough.. that I honestly find it difficult to even see myself some days.
Roxxy Riot
A
thread 6/8
This is hard to do without going into dysphoria too much.. but that's a whole other thread for a different day. Lol

Without sounding too hypocritical, looks have nothing to do with identity.

I don't care if it's me, or someone with the most magnificent beard you've ever seen...
Roxxy Riot
A
thread 7/8
If someone tells you they're a woman and they use feminine pronouns, just believe them and do it.

I'm getting ranty, time to stop while I'm ahead.

Uhhh.. in conclusion, we have to continue fighting to decouple sex from gender. They absolutely are not the same thing.
Roxxy Riot
A
thread 8/8
Cool.. that's finally done. If you're trans and would like to add your thoughts, please go ahead.
I clearly don't speak for all of us and I definitely wasn't trying to.

🖤Roxxy
Deb Prothero
A
In response to Roxxy Riot.
Thanks for sharing. I confess to not knowing many trans folk. One, I'll never forget. I held Paige's hand as she died in hospital. My gay son introduced me years before. He called to get me to run an errand for her. The gd nurses refused hormonals at end of life. Paige needed a razor & shaving help.
11:37 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Roxxy Riot
A
In response to Deb Prothero.
Oh.. wow. That's horrible.
I hope I never find myself in that situation.
11:44 PM - Dec 04, 2023
No
A
Accurate. And yes it is very complicated. Everything is on a spectrum yet society tries to shoehorn everyone into neat little squares. We are not square pegs and life is no round hole.
08:19 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
This is why when my son came out as trans to me I told him that I honestly believe that people should just be whoever they are whenever they are and everybody else can just fuck the hell off if they don't like it.

"Standards" are for healthcare and manufacturing, not for anyone's identity.
08:07 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Fern Lovebond (they/them)
A
1. As a genderfluid person (only recently adopted that term), the nearly-endless pressure I feel to acquire apparel or adornments that would let me "pass" as more myself in a given day can be maddening. On masc days, it's easy, but when I'm feeling fem, or andro, I am pretty stressed about it.
11:46 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Fern Lovebond (they/them)
A
In response to Fern Lovebond (they/them).
2. And when I *do* try for fem, I am utterly convinced it's impossible. Even looking at Reddit groups to feel some kind of community, I see so many beautiful, amazing people who express themselves in lovely ways, but have to cope with the sense of failing, ask strangers to validate their efforts.
11:48 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Roxxy Riot
A
In response to Fern Lovebond (they/them).
It is very stressful..
I can't imagine having to deal with it both ways
11:49 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Just Frank
A
Thanks for writing the thread, Roxxy.
09:49 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Roxxy Riot
A
In response to Just Frank.
No problem. Sometimes I just feel the need to talk about stuff
09:51 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
You did good! I'm glad you decided to write it!
09:35 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
You asked for trans folx to comment & I'm not trans, but as someone socialized female, lookism is nearly impossible to avoid. I'm over here feeling good about my recent weight loss, take a selfie of Xander on my chest, see my 6 ½ chins, and try to figure how to crop the pic. This shit never ends.
09:12 AM - Dec 04, 2023

Only followers of this user (Seamoura) can see their posts

Kinzie Mat
A
Thank you so much for sharing: as a cisHet, I know I have no idea. But I’m so damn privileged to know you on these SpStreets, & you’ve got All the Support!♥️ (I’m certain this will help @ least one ((multiple!)) ppl)
09:01 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Nefarious Newt
A
*hugs* Everybody should just be who they want. You look into your eyes in the mirror and you don't see what other people see, you just see you, and I don't think any of us truly understand how we look to others. But our society has made how we look "important," and we suffer for it.
08:58 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Nefarious Newt
A
In response to Nefarious Newt.
I'm a tall, pudgy, balding cishet White man, who thinks he's still the svelte and more athletic person he used to be. I get frustrated now by the aches and pains, bumping into things, dropping things, etc. I see only younger me in the mirror; it frustrates me to no end.
08:59 AM - Dec 04, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Nefarious Newt.
Love this sentiment, but I'd say "be who they are" rather than "want."
10:20 AM - Dec 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}