Misha Ellison
A
thread 1/7
I need to take a pause.

It turns out the timing of my tongue-in-cheek #SpoutWar battle has coincided with a mass shooting. A school shooting.

Another one. In my home.

I work for UNLV. Beam Hall is a building central on campus. I know several of the students and faculty.

My daughter is one.
05:35 PM - Dec 06, 2023 (Edited)
Misha Ellison
A
thread 2/7
We're checking to make sure everyone is ok. My daughter has checked in, but we still need to hear from some of her friends.

All I can say is this:
It's just a matter of time.

It's just a matter of time before you or someone you know is involved in a mass shooting. I give it two years.
05:35 PM - Dec 06, 2023
Misha Ellison
A
thread 3/7
It doesn't have to be this way.

Fight like hell against the people who align with the terror of mass & school shootings being our daily experience.

Run for office if you can.
Misha Ellison
A
thread 4/7
Refuse to accept the excuses of the Second Amendment fetishists.

Even Scalia himself in the Heller decision wrote the 2A right is not unlimited, recognizing smart restrictions are consistent with the constitution.

Use this excerpt in every online discussion if you like. Force them to swallow it.
Misha Ellison
A
thread 5/7
I'm fine, and my family are fine. We'll check on our friends and see what we can do to help.

I need to repeat this:

It's only a matter of time, for every single person reading this, until you yourself or a person you directly know is involved in a mass shooting.

Let that sink in.
Misha Ellison
A
thread 6/7
But also let it sink in that that does not have to be an inevitability.

Fight like hell in whatever way you can, politically, socially, and otherwise to forge a different path.
Misha Ellison
A
thread 7/7
I'll be getting back to our #SpoutWar a little later, after we know our friends are okay. It was made for fun after all.

A lot of you have posted some wonderful and funny things to add to the playfight and I love you for it.

Let's tackle the real fight too.
/end
John Haakenson
A
In response to Liney.
Yes, and the timeframe covered is about 3 days.
10:32 PM - Dec 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}