Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 1/53
I read because I need to. Books feed my soul in a way that nothing else does. They may liberate my mind, or tie me in shackles, either way in them I am completely free. This thread will serve as my 2024 reads review, instead of dropping them all at the end of the year. Happy reading! 📚
06:31 PM - Jan 23, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 2/53
The Martin Luther King Jr Companion compiled by Coretta Scott King is a collection of MLK Jr quotes organized by topic. It is a very quick introduction to his beliefs and shares beautiful poetic lines such as “the oceans of history are made turbulent by the ever-rising tide of hate.”
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 3/53
The Constitution felt like an important next read. Having not read it since I was a child, I thought I would brush up. It served only to remind me that this country was founded purposefully excluding women and including Black people only when it increased racist powers (ie 3/5ths Compromise)
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 4/53
The Sum Of Us by Heather McGhee discusses the costs of racism to us all. Did you know that in the late 50’s many cities cemented in their pools instead of integrate them? The book digs into the fact that White society is willing to lose, so long as Black people end up losing too. Fascinating read.
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 5/53
Kindred by Octavia Butler follows a young Black woman in the 1970s as she faints and finds herself in the South in the 1800s. She learns she is on a plantation where her ancestors are enslaved and must work to ensure their survival. A phenomenal book, over way too fast.
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 6/53
Wild Seed by Octavia Butler follows the lives of two immortal creatures, living mostly in human form, as they work to build a society of their own kind amongst humans in early America. One is a healer while one must kill to stay alive. Their lives and love clash in the epic novel. A must read.
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 7/53
Mind Of My Mind by Octavia Butler is the second in her Patternist series. In it we meet Mary, a young telepath who begins to gather other telepaths to become part of her family (part of her mind's pattern). It ends in a battle for control as her immortal father feels she has gained too much power.
09:23 AM - Jan 26, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 8/53
Clay's Ark by Octavia Butler is the third in the Patternist series and just as much of a page turner as the first two. In it a new organism has been introduced to humans that will either kill you and give you super-human senses and strength. Her prescience is on full display in this amazing read.
11:45 AM - Jan 27, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 9/53
Survivor by Octavia Butler is the fourth in the Patternist series and is out of print because Octavia at some point disowned the text. I had to get my hands on it to see why. It brings together books two and three, but leaves the planet to do so. Excited to read the final book in the series!
10:31 AM - Jan 28, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 10/53
Pattern Master by Octavia Butler is the fifth and final book of the Patternist series, although it was the first to be published in 1976. In it Earth is inhabitated by telepaths, sphinx like creatures and mutes (humans), and telepaths are in control. This was a fun series to hammer out!
08:41 PM - Jan 28, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 11/53
Writing Down The Bones by Natalie Goldberg is a guide to writing through the process of practice. She provides prompts and tips, helping shake the dust off your notebooks (very much pre computer era) and get to writing. More of a how to than a what not to do, which was a nice change of pace.
06:41 PM - Jan 30, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 12/53
The Covenant Of Water by Abraham Verghese tells the story of a family over seven decades in Southern India. The book touches on the caste system, medicine, addiction, passion and love, while following the family's tragedies that tend to involve water. A long but beautiful read, highly recommend.
09:22 PM - Feb 04, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 13/53
The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin is a fast, thought provoking read. Sharing my favorite quote "Life is tragic simply because the earth turns and the sun inexorably rises and sets, and one day, for each of us, the sun will go down for the last, last time."
07:06 PM - Feb 05, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 14/53
Becoming Abolishionists by Derecka Purnell discusses abolishing police and using those resources to provide for society's basic needs. The thought being that crime (that isn't committed by police themselves) isn't committed when people are fed, housed, clothed and have even basic healthcare.
02:27 PM - Feb 09, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 15/53
Black AF History The Un-Whitewashed Story of America by Michael Harriot was guy wrenching, eye opening and hilarious all at once. I have gotten used to hearing a lot of the same stories, but this one shakes it up quite a bit.
07:32 PM - Feb 12, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 16/53
The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride tells the story of a young Black boy caught between the Jewish woman who has been protecting him from the state and the town doctor who is also a Klansman, and his family's fight to get him back once placed in an asylum. Great, fast read.
06:36 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 17/53
Dawn by Octavia Butler is an amazing story of what happened to humans after Earth is destroyed by war between the world and the USSR. In it aliens have held the remaining humans in suspended animation for 250 years while they repair Earth for repopulation. But the population will only be part human.
09:18 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 18/53
Adulthood Rites by Octavia Butler is the second of the Lilith's Brood series. In it a young part human, part Oankali (alien), named Akin works to save humanity by convincing them to move to Mars, where they will be allowed to procreate again. Really enjoying this series.
12:08 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 19/53
Imago by Octavia Butler is the third and final of the Xenogenesis Series. In it a new species is born of humans and the Oankali and Jodahs, younger sibling to Akin, became the first human born oilee and must fight for it's place among its own people. My favorite series of hers I've read so far!
01:52 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 20/53
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot was a combination of science, family, drama, death, extreme racism in medicine, and of course, amazing HeLa cells. I don't want to give anything away, but I read this in one day, it was just that good.
07:28 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 21/53
Carry On by John Lewis provides reflections by the late Congressman on topics ranging from money, to voting, to non-violence, to staying dressed for the part. It was an extremely fast read, that made me smile and made me think.
09:18 PM - Feb 28, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 22/53
The Rose That Grew From The Concrete by Tupac Shakur is a book of poetry by the famous rapper, but it's also a love song.

To Mandela he writes:
"Held captive 4 your politics
They wanted to break your soul
They ordered the extermination
Of all the minds they couldn't control"
#BlackAuthor #Poetry
04:27 PM - Feb 29, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 23/53
The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett is a story about twin sisters who are from a town where only very light Black people live. When one of the twins disappears no one expects that she is living a new life... as a white woman. Beautifully written page turner, highly recommend.
11:41 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 24/53
Aunty Ida's Full Service Mental Institution* by @IsaLeeWolf follows a judge who just received awful news about her marriage & lashes out during a televised trial. Instead of the spa like "institution" where she intended to wait it her woes, she ends up being a toy in a sci-fi experiment! Silly, fun!
10:00 AM - Mar 05, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 25/53
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult is the story of a Black Labor and Delivery nurse who is kicked off the care of a newborn because the parents are skinheads. When the baby ends up dead and in her care, she finds herself charged with murder.
09:29 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 26/53
Fledgling by Octavia Butler is the last novel written by the icon, published just a year before her passing. In it a young Ina (vampire) finds herself waking up with no memories, and no family after they were all murdered. She works to find herself and her family's killers. Worthy of a series.
12:13 PM - Mar 09, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 27/53
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is an alternate dystopian United States where men (Commanders) are in charge and women are slaves (either for labor, sex or reproduction depending on who they are.) Well written, quite an easy read, albeit a stomach turning topic.
04:48 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 28/53
The Blueprint by Rae Giana Rashad tells the story of a young woman who is coming of age while being held as a concubine by the leader of The Order, which has replaced the United States (Texas is now the main state of The Order and Louisiana is the only state where Black people are free.) Gripping.
10:09 AM - Mar 15, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 29/53
The Women by Kristin Hannah follows a young woman named Frankie as she volunteers to be a nurse in the Vietnam War. When she returns home she's not only faced with a country who doesn't appreciate her service, but a family who doesn't either. Read in one day. You won't put it down either.
07:01 PM - Mar 16, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 30/53
Parable of the Sowers by Octavia Butler begins in 2024 LA where people live in walled communities, hiding from murderers, rapists, drug fueled arsonists and slave driving companies. After losing her entire family to murder, Lauren, a young woman who believes in a better future, sets out to find it.
03:14 PM - Mar 18, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 31/53
Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler showcases Butler's clairvoyance. In it a terrible President is elected with his catchphrase "Make America Great Again" and his Christian America crusaders terrorize non believers and anyone else they can capture. Slightly terrifying, extremely good.
12:27 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 32/53
Thunder Song is a collection of essays from Coast Salish author, Tasha LaPointe. Topics include queerness, decolonizing her diet, sexual assault, her familial relationships, punk music, love, and more. Moving read.
11:33 PM - Mar 22, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 33/53
James by Percival Everett is a retelling of Huckleberry Finn from the point of view of Jim, the enslaved man on the run with Huck. In it Jim runs before he is to be sold, & spends the rest of the story figuring out how to return to his wife & daughter & save them from slavery. Great, fast read.
02:51 PM - Mar 24, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 34/53
Blood Child by Octavia Butler is a series of short stories by the esteemed science fiction writer. They are very different from her novels, but fun to read. It ended with an essay that was originally in Essence on her passion for writing. Worth picking up for sure.
10:44 AM - Mar 25, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 35/53
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou is the poet's autobiography and follows her and her younger brother while they traverse childhood. Beautiful and painful.
11:43 PM - Mar 26, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 36/53
Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros is 22 year old (with likely EDS!) Violet's first year of war college. She was raised to be a historian when she is pushed into becoming a dragon rider instead. She faces constant battles to make it through her first year. Cannot wait to read the next book!
08:43 PM - Mar 28, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 37/53
The Seven Necessary Sins For Women And Girls by Mona Eltahawy is a beautiful reminder of the power of women and how we must take our power and take up our space. The seven "sins" are Anger, Attention, Profanity, Ambition, Power, Violence and Lust. Powerful book, must read.
10:49 AM - Mar 31, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 38/53
Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros is the sequel to Fourth Wing and it's just as action packed. In it, humans and their dragons fight other mythical creatures for their lives and control on the kingdom. Fun, outside of my typical genre. Enjoyed venturing out to fantasy
10:11 PM - Apr 02, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 39/53
On Writing : A Memoir On The Craft by Stephen King is part memoir and part guide on the art of writing. I loved hearing about his process, as well as tips on publishing, working with an agent, editing, writer's block, grammar, vocabulary, etc.
09:20 PM - Apr 03, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 40/53
Assata is the powerful autobiography of Assata Shakur. In it she shares some of her childhood and about her work with the Black Panther Party and the Black Liberation Army. She was setup by the CIA and FBI on multiple counts and managed to escape prison, currently residing in Cuba.
05:53 PM - Apr 05, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 41/53
The American Daughters by Maurice Carlos Ruffin is about a mother and daughter who are enslaved in New Orleans where some Black people are free while others are enslaved. As they fight for their freedom the country is at war for the freedom of all Black people.
11:05 PM - Apr 06, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 42/53
Martyr! by Kaveh Akbar is about a twenty something year old, working on his sobriety and writing a book on Martyrs, when he travels to New York to meet an artist who is doing an exhibition on death. He lost both his parents relatively young and is almost obsessed with living a life worthy of death.
10:12 AM - Apr 08, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 43/53
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead follows a young woman named Cora as she navigates life on a plantation and eventually life on the run North. Whitehead is always on point and this novel is no exception.
04:20 PM - Apr 10, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 44/53
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin follows a group of women who are all extremely powerful and can keep the Earth from violent shakes. Their stories take painful and violent twists, making you question humanity at energy turn. Excited to read the next book in the series.
09:04 PM - Apr 13, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 45/53
Crying in the H Mart by Michelle Zauner is a memoir that reads like an ode to the author's mother and to Korean food. Her mother passed away from metastatic cancer that started in her bile duct, the same place my late husband's cancer started. RIP ❤️
01:20 PM - Apr 15, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 46/53
Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver follows a boy named Damon from birth to manhood. Apparently following a similar storyline to David Copperfield, it tells the story of poverty, death, DSS, love, addiction and tragedy. Beautifully written, amazing story. Highly recommend.
01:26 PM - Apr 18, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 47/53
Come And Get It by Kiley Reid is the story of a young undergrad and a young professor and how their lives collide at University of Arkansas. While one hustles to graduate, the professor hustles her for information for her next big story.
09:25 PM - Apr 20, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 48/53
Leslie F*cking Jones by Leslie Jones is a memoir about her life growing up in Compton. She was a star basketball player who worked through a lot of struggles to start working in comedy after a college friend signed her up for The Funniest Person On Campus competition at her college.
02:07 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 49/53
Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese follows the lives of twin brothers, Marion and Shiva, brought into the world by their nun mother, who died during their birth in Ethiopia. Nothing I type will do this book justice. Verghese is a literary genius.
03:08 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 50/53
The Many Lives Of Mama Love by Lara Love Hardin is a memoir that tells the story of a young mom who became addicted to heroin and her struggles through jail time, the injustice system, and getting back in her feet. It's a story of growth, redemption and love for oneself. Quick read.
02:44 PM - Apr 27, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 51/53
The Women Could Fly by Megan Giddings is an amazing story about women, society and patriarchal bullshit. It uses witches to tell the story of female oppression and it's beautifully written. I will be reading it again.
12:37 AM - Apr 30, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 52/53
Happiness Falls is a novel about a family in crisis after the father goes missing, leaving a disabled son at the park to fend for himself and two more children and a wife at home. The dramatic week that follows leads them to a possible answer, but doubts linger in the end. Very interesting read.
05:34 PM - May 02, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
thread 53/53
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a brilliant but terribly sad story of a boy born in Afghanistan whose mother died in child birth. It follows him on his journey to America and to trying to receive his father's love. He makes some terrible decisions as a boy and tries to redeem himself as a man.
09:21 PM - May 05, 2024
L Geisenest
A
In response to Jo she/her Thompson.
Is this that little shop on Greenwood?
12:36 PM - May 03, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
In response to L Geisenest.
I'm sorry, which post is this reply for? That's my only complaint with threads, I can't tell what you replied to!
12:47 PM - May 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}