Rep. Ritchie Torres
A
BIG NEWS: Tyre Nichols’ murder reminds us that police traffic stops can turn deadly. 400 unarmed drivers killed in 5 years.

I'm introducing the "Safer Traffic Stops Act" that would pay local governments to transfer traffic enforcement from armed police officers to cameras or civilians.
11:26 AM - Feb 06, 2023
Steven Jones
A
In response to Rep. Ritchie Torres.
Actual legislation about an actual problem,how refreshing.
07:59 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Loki
A
Can anyone elaborate on "pay them"? Is that just covering any required technology and equipment?
09:00 PM - Feb 07, 2023
LynnK
A
I am one of the authors of The People’s Plan. Go to liunited.org. and read it. Police reform, divesting from the police and investing in communities, is the only way that we will reduce crime in America. Please, check us out. Read about us in The NY Times. Reach out to us and let’s work together
07:51 PM - Feb 07, 2023
Yogi Thomas
B
Police Reform: Clean your house. Police are being trained to patrol citizens as the enemy. Especially in the big cities, police chiefs and teams are training in Israel Apartheid State.

The character of a cop is shown during training and 1st year on the job. Get rid of the scumbags!
07:42 PM - Feb 07, 2023
Indigo
A
In response to Yogi Thomas.
Hear, hear!
07:08 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Richie Peterson
A
It is time to use camera technology, deployed throughout the world, to make our streets safer by enforcing speed limits and traffic lights. Our streets have continued to become more dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists as traffic enforcement by police has rightfully come under scrutiny.
09:14 AM - Feb 07, 2023
Mirth H
A
I am concerned that this would give rise to citizen vigilantes.
07:49 AM - Feb 07, 2023

Only followers of this user (SuperChibiPower) can see their posts

Xolani Mvulana
B
I am always amazed at how the US is still grappling with problems that every other other country has somehow found sensible and working solutions to. There is no need for an armed police officer to be deal with someone driving with a broken taillight. That person doesn't pose any real danger.
02:48 AM - Feb 07, 2023 (Edited)
SusieQ
A
In response to Xolani Mvulana.
Unless that driver just unfortunately committed a crime and has a gun on his lap waiting for cop to walk up. Or knows he’s going to Prison for life and has nothing to lose so would rather go out in a blaze of bullets. We need gun control too!!
07:28 AM - Feb 10, 2023
Sheila (she, her, hers)
A
Not sure how that will happen as cameras keep getting turned off after a law suite is filed.
01:26 AM - Feb 07, 2023
Kim R..
A
Should consider in future a law that would require any losses of money by officers due to civil actions, to be paid out of the police pension funds. Bet you more cops would start policing other cops if they keep draining their retirement fund.
09:36 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Joe
A
This is an excellent idea - but why not just get rid of traffic stops entirely? It's only a revenue grift by the municipalities supported by the grift of the insurance companies raising your rates and does nothing to impact motor vehicle fatalities.
04:55 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
I’ve had a couple of issues with the officers assigned to our schools not understanding their jobs. Turns out, they’re pretty good at catching bad actors after the fact, horrible at anticipating, preventing, and most of all, identifying glitches in policy or systems. It’s time to start over.
04:03 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Jo Lown
A
Paying to transfer traffic enforcement from police. to cameras & automatic ticketing makes sense. They do that in Florida with drivers who fail to pay tolls. But, I am really not keen about using civilians. Especially in gun crazy states.
03:55 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Steve Rogers
A
In response to Jo Lown.
My sentiments exactly.
07:19 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Mimi’s Mom
A
Sorry rep, but this is giving me george zimmerman vigilante vibes.
03:17 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Marleigh Elise
A
In response to Mimi’s Mom.
Machines, good. Civilians, not so good.
04:20 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Maria OLeary
A
Thank you. Hope it comes a bill..
03:16 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Hopey_70
A
Thanks, Rep!!
02:32 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Edward Bolds
A
What's your honest assessment of its chances for passage?
01:21 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Candaca Okun
A
Yes - and - is this not included in the George Floyd bill?
01:18 PM - Feb 06, 2023
K8trz
A
How about mimes?
12:44 PM - Feb 06, 2023
temporal temporal
A
bravo. well done
12:36 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Erin Oliver
A
Love it!
12:29 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Dee Gee
A
I appreciate the idea but I think it needs more fine tuning.

Many rural areas can't be covered by that tech. Those areas also have citizens who are likely armed anyway defeating the purpose.

Also, many criminals have been apprehended in traffic stops. Info and protection needed for those cas
12:14 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Pirate Baban
A
In response to Dee Gee.
Counterpoint: fewer criminals are apprehended by random traffic stops than people believe. And the risk of abuse by armed cops outweighs that small benefit.
12:19 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Riley
A
Good news!!🌏
12:03 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Linncle
A
Not sure if I agree with this. We might end up with too many citizens driving recklessly. I think Police Officers need better training and monitoring-Live monitoring. Just my opinion.
11:51 AM - Feb 06, 2023
Margaux ☮️
A
Thank you Richie. Appreciate your solution based problem solving!
11:49 AM - Feb 06, 2023
Karin E
A
I like the speed cameras - they do make a difference - and red light cameras. For red light cameras the yellow light needs to be extended a bit for them to work properly.
11:43 AM - Feb 06, 2023
Apollo11
A
Have they considered the fact that in a not insignificant number of cases, routine traffic stops involve armed criminals? I'm not saying we do not have an issue with innocent citizens being harmed/killed, we do, but this does not sound like a good idea.
11:39 AM - Feb 06, 2023
Sakis Efthimiadis
A
In response to Apollo11.
For those who don't like the idea. Have you read the bill or past the headline?
02:58 PM - Feb 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}