Read aBannedBook
A
Sometimes I want to take a walk at night alone and see the moon rise over the lake and feel the peace.

But I can't. Women have been murdered in my town while out at night or early morning. And it's not just my town.

It's not safe for women and I'm sick that we have no real freedom.
11:16 AM - Feb 23, 2024
The Middle Sister
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
I wish I could point to a place (outside their own property) where women have the luxury of walking free, knowing they're safe. How tragic for us all that I cannot.
09:41 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Sneaky Burrito
A
A woman got murdered jogging at the UGA campus a few days ago, in the middle of the day. That's across the state from me but I can't help think of all the times I walked across college campuses alone.
09:41 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Sneaky Burrito.
It was long ago but I remember being nervous every time I walked on campus or home from work alone at night. I finally got a bike and at least that got me home faster.
09:47 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Merlene Taylor
A
It's sad that people have gotten so mean & cruel. We're killing our own freedoms.
08:12 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Grandma Sharon
A
This is so true; it's the rare woman who feels safe walking alone at night. Years ago, hubs & I had a seasonal campsite.
I would walk our large boxer dog. When it was dark (only when dark), he would softly growl at men. One man said "I heard that." My one word response was "good".
06:36 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Eljay Sixty
A
It is interesting to me that my husband and adult son can’t really understand how core this is to behavior and decision making. I am able to walk ‘alone’ in my rural area on our property, courtesy of my avatar pic, now full grown and 90 pounds.
05:56 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Grandma Sharon
A
In response to Eljay Sixty.
Beautiful dog!
06:42 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Tonya Alston
A
Same.
11:00 PM - Feb 23, 2024
GG Collins
A
I frequently don't feel safe.
10:28 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Carol DeFreese
A
And what do I find at the bottom of the replies to this spout? An ad for a gun-- the "#1 conceal carry gun", it says. This is the Google ads answer to the threats of violence women face. Kind of says it all, doesn't it?
09:33 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Dıanna
A
When I was in my 20s roaming the streets of Chicago without care (or sense), my 89 year old aunt was raped in a small midwestern town of maybe 200 ... in her own house on the homestead.
Safety?
Where?
09:13 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Dıanna.
Nowhere.
09:35 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Dıanna
A
we are prey
simply put
it has no bearing on our age, our attire, our whereabouts, etc etc etc
we have to navigate an unsafe world

(ps, it's easier with a very large, brindle-coat dog, ngl)
09:09 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Pete Johnston
A
🥲 We need to find peace. The violence is bad for everyone.
09:08 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Ness Allen
B
Sad to hear. I wish that women would ALWAYS carry some type of protection with them to take down anyone who attacks them. I’m so sick & tired of deranged criminals attacking women. We need to get to the point where an attacker would have 2nd thoughts because he thinks the woman might be deranged!!!
09:08 PM - Feb 23, 2024
k Broquard
A
WOW - the responses are so courageous to admit that women often don’t feel safe
07:39 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Please wear a mask and get the jab
A
Dessa - Fire Drills (Live at The Current) - YouTube

Dessa, the revered Twin Cities-based rapper/singer/songwriter, visited The Current to discuss the making of her new album, Chime, which released on February ...

07:34 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Deb
A
I sometimes go out on the screened porch on the back of my house at night. It is a rural area and I have never seen anyone but it is something I always think about. I know too many women who have been attacked out walking or getting into a car at night.
07:14 PM - Feb 23, 2024
NTropy Sellers
A
In my younger days, I didn't think twice about that sort of thing. Now, I wouldn't go walking around my neighborhood after dark at all. Not that it isn't safe. But it's on the edge of "not quite safe". Plus, we have coyotes, which scare me, too.
07:08 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Josol
A
We have a long street next to my neighborhood that is fairly quiet. I am afraid to walk down by myself day or night. I stay where the traffic is.
07:07 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Katie E
A
I feel exactly the same way. Makes me wish I had a very large dog
06:22 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
I absolutely understand what you mean.
06:15 PM - Feb 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}