My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 1/2
In a discussion where everyone is universally panning the "I don't see color" claptrap some white people seem to think merits praise, it takes a special kind of willfulness to full throatedly say, "No, I genuinely don't notice."

Unless you lack the physical ability to see, please just don't.
03:14 AM - Mar 03, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 2/2
Well, we don't believe you, you need more people
03:19 AM - Mar 03, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
I'm curious: if you are white, have other white people have said this to you? My theory is these people say this to clumsily virtue signal to people of color, but they have no use for the phrase around each other... the idea is, when they're saying it, all they're seeing is color.
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
09:55 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Doctor Michael
A
I’ve had white people say this to me and I shake my head then offer a piece of my mind.
05:43 PM - Mar 04, 2024
Annie Bee Good
A
YES! And when I explain to them that to claim not to see skin color is to deny that people have different identities, different lived experiences, different versions of America, and different choices based on systemic racism, some of them deny systemic racism, too.
06:03 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Mary Cole
A
I have heard this, but rarely. I honestly think the people who said it were trying to signal a lack of racism. As time has gone by it is clearer to everyone that there is an underlying racism in the statement. I try to acknowledge good intentions where possible. 🤔
11:35 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
Yes. When I have heard it from other whites it’s usually accompanied by a racist statement. It’s the corresponding suffix to the prefix “I’m not racist but”. For example, “My kid’s principal is really aggressive, such a ‘tiger mom’. I don’t see color though.” Paraphrased from an actual conversation.
11:30 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Al Gray
A
If I had to live somewhere that was just white people I'd burn the place down.
11:19 AM - Mar 03, 2024
PS Annie
A
I've had a number of fellow white folks say this to me.
Most were older people who were taught that this is a good thing, an ideal to shoot for. These folks were pretty receptive when I explained why it was both false and racist.
The younger ones were more problematic. They don't like me anymore 😁
11:15 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Frank the Bunny
A
They do, but usually when it's pointed out to them that they just said some racist shit, in their feeble attempts to convince another white person that they really aren't a racist despite having said aforementioned racist shit.
11:09 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
Maybe at that dinner where the guy was focused on Black trump voters and I kept saying there are not enough to matter and bringing it back to white men, and he ended up yelling at me (fun night).

But I can't be entirely sure. Otherwise not without a Black person present, I think.
10:47 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Professor Kyle
A
A good friend who is white said it to me once when we were talking about systemic racism. Now I think of it, that was a key moment that started the process of our friendship falling apart.
10:46 AM - Mar 03, 2024 (Edited)
Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Funny how that happens, no?
10:50 AM - Mar 03, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
They tell on themselves, Prof.
11:07 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
I haven’t heard it much between white ppl & I would agree with you about virtue signaling. Before the current backlash and racist hellscape we now live in… I saw it as a naive, perhaps ignorant and dishonest way to attempt to say “I don’t judge people”, instead of just saying “of course I notice ….
10:45 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
I also understand- it’s an ignorant way that white people maintain their insulation from not only facing racial discomfort but even acknowledging diversity & doing any work at all to understand difference. So “naive” is a bit euphemistic- it’s totally part of the problem and shouldn’t be excused.
11:26 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I am white, I have had white people say this to me.
I respond, so you are going to deny the history and experiences of millions of people?
They don't usually know what to say.
10:39 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Susan L
A
oh yeah, they definitely say it!
and it's all kinds of people who say it.
white liberals
proud racists
people who claim not to be racists but say things like, "why can't the people who work at the hotel go live in their own neighborhood, why do they want to live here?" my neighbor just said that.
10:39 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Susan L
A
In response to Susan L.
my response to my neighbor was...
maybe they want their kids to be be able to attend the good schools that their labor helps create the tax base for... or access to the grocery stores, libraries, public transportation and parks that their labor helps make possible. They didn't get it.
10:45 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans
A
I have had a few of my fellow whites say that. Unfortunately I didn't know how to respond at the time, so didn't push back. 🙁
10:29 AM - Mar 03, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
YES and I want to throttle them because it is so achingly tone deaf. I usually say, "Really? That is terrible! So much nuance and history you are missing. I feel sorry for you" and then fake smile like a debutante
10:27 AM - Mar 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}