Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 1/3
This post and all the comments are a perfect illustration of a trolling technique called "Sealioning."

The author posts an "explain it to me" question, then on every comment responds with something like, "How can one person be that bad?" "Are you sure it's like that?" Etc.

Treat like any troll.
Sahr Emmanuel Gborie @Emmanuel1225
Living here in Africa, I'm curious to know why is Donald Trump HATED by many Americans?

➡️ Especially in the black American community?
➡️ I also learn that majority of women HATE him.

Please tell me why? I'm curious to learn
11:00 AM - Mar 13, 2024
02:27 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 2/3
The purpose of this type of trolling is to exhaust you. Get you to spend time writing answers to the question and then asking follow up questions, like, "How did this person ever get elected if they were this bad?" to try to get you to continue to expend energy.
02:30 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 3/3
In fact, going back and looking at the comments again, the author's responses seem to be in a fairly narrow groove. This may be an AI we're talking to. I work with AI engines for my job (when I decide to get off Spoutible and do it) and I'm pretty sure I could get something like this going.
02:34 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Lynn Massie 💙
A
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
i learned something new today.
never heard of sealioning before.
thank you bob.
01:54 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Kim A
A
@cbouzy took care of it.
10:31 AM - Mar 14, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to Kim A.
I saw that. When I saw the post and wrote my thread he was still in the dopey "but why does that make him bad?" phase and wasn't close to tripping the TOS yet. Obviously got more aggressive over time, which is the point. Get people engaged then enrage them.
10:42 AM - Mar 14, 2024
Kirk Taylor
A
In retrospect I see that you have described his behavior perfectly and that I walked right into it for a while. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and answered his “naive” questions without judgement, but it was my own naïveté about this type of troll that led me to do it
Learning experience! 🙏
11:31 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to Kirk Taylor.
I don't view it as "walked into it" at all. When somebody wants an opinion on something or desires an explanation, I like to treat them as legit. To me, it's a matter of putting low investment into responses until I gain confidence it's legit. Put this knowledge in your toolbox for future reference.
12:23 AM - Mar 14, 2024
Fiona Bski
A
What is the point? What do they get out of it? Seems like a waste of time.
09:29 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to Fiona Bski.
These are often paid trolls. Perhaps the OP is in Russia. The idea is to exhaust folks who will vote for Biden. To enrage. And, if possible, to get them to question their beliefs by posing as a 'reasonable' person who just doesn't see the problem with TFG.
10:42 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Phred
A
Have you done reverse image lookup on the various photos within the profile?
02:48 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to Phred.
No, but I'll bet you have. 😀
02:51 PM - Mar 13, 2024

Only followers of this user (BattleFuzz) can see their posts

Deb Prothero
A
Thanks for the heads up. I wondered why they said Africa instead of a country. Makes no sense. Possibly Russia is hiring on that continent for more than terrorists and miners.
02:43 PM - Mar 13, 2024

Only followers of this user (BattleFuzz) can see their posts

k Broquard
A
I appreciate the “sealioning” explanation
02:38 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to k Broquard.
Sure. There's even a Wikipedia page on it.
02:41 PM - Mar 13, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}