Lil
A
This is a big deal.

Could have a major negative impact on the ratio of fact-based news to click-bait garbage in our news stew.
04:33 PM - Mar 22, 2024
Rebecca E
A
In response to Lil.
The main stream media has been dying for a long time. Gave up on most all of it preferring substack newsletters and investigative journalism. Not at all surprised that Gannett is taking this position. Reminds me more of Sinclair with every purchase. Link to their "brands"
07:26 PM - Mar 22, 2024
Marian Moore
A
In response to Lil.
Most peculiar! If companies have money problems, don’t they usually outsource the work? Why stop using the AP?
06:16 PM - Mar 22, 2024
Lil
A
In response to Marian Moore.
If they used their 200+ newspaper network to share top-notch investigative reporting, that would be great. Some non-profit newsrooms are cooperating like that.

Sadly, given that hedge fund executives are at the very top, it seems more likely that they'll turn into engagement farms.
06:28 PM - Mar 22, 2024
Diogenes Wept
A
In response to Lil.
Every trained journalist knows the rigorous standards set and adhered to by the Associated Press. That USA Today is turning its back on AP as a source for structured content demonstrates a decided decline in their commitment to deliver unbiased facts to their readers. Send in the clowns.
05:14 PM - Mar 22, 2024
J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him)
A
In response to Lil.
Meaning USA Today, et al, will be more filled with unreliable garbage?

AP has always been the boring, “just the facts” news, in my mind. Which we need.

Unless Gannett is growing their pool of reliable journalists to better combat political propaganda?

(🤣🤣🤣 I crack me up.)
04:41 PM - Mar 22, 2024
Lil
A
In response to J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him).
I don't know what they've been paying AP for content, but it seems like staffing dozens of newsrooms would cost a lot more.

But what do I, someone who has never even stepped foot on Wall Street, know?
05:05 PM - Mar 22, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}