Trauma Epidemic
A
"But keeping things balanced isn’t simply a question of personal will. “If you were going to design a system that really fucked up humans’ metabolic budgets, it would be the world that we currently live in,” she says."

Evergreen in our adversarial exchange-belief culture. Another book for the pile.
09:45 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Serendipity
A
Her idea that “emotions are not reactions to the world, they are your constructions of the world” has stayed with me. Seems like an opportunity for true agency, but maybe that’s a scary idea for a lot of people.
In response to Trauma Epidemic.
09:58 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Serendipity.
My perspective on this is really influenced by what I've been reading and experiencing (oh so much of both) over the past two years, so it's both objective and biased.

Ultimately, I think her view is interesting and likely points back/down to inner/basic/contextual (as she does note) focus.
10:35 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Trauma Epidemic
A
I agree about the reluctance, though. The default for many of us is self-judgment, so seeing our ignorance objectively is challenging.

I'm now to the point of a 'bare bones' daily assessment: what am I feeling and thinking? Until I've checked, I'm likely 'off track' and acting on old conditioning.
10:23 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Serendipity
A
The idea of constructing vs reacting resonates because we have been taught to look outward to circumstances and other people to explain our perceptions and/or feelings. I think the answers are more likely to be found in introspection, which entails taking ownership of our experience.
10:33 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Trauma Epidemic
A
No doubt she'd question "scary". 🙂

I like her perspective. From what I've learned about the variations in CEN (and to a lesser extent other ACE) and CPTSD, as well as subtypes of the 4Fs, it's obvious that multiple variables make for many versions.

Our simplifying labels don't serve us well.
10:20 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Serendipity
A
Who’s simplifying what?
10:22 AM - Mar 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}