Elle Cohen
A
thread 1/6
I posted a little from the First Robotics NE regional tournament in Revere, MA this weekend. I thought I should explain a little about this “sport” In January first issues a challenge. This year it was called crescendo. The kids had to build a robot that could shoot discs into different goals, and
06:39 AM - Mar 25, 2024 (Edited)
Elle Cohen
A
thread 2/6
Hang on a chain off the ground. They have 2 1/2 months to build the robot. It is expensive. They hvae to seek out grants and sponsorship from corporate entities (this varies a lot team to team) There are widely varying degrees of mentor (adult) support. What is universal is that these kids work hard
06:39 AM - Mar 25, 2024
Elle Cohen
A
thread 3/6
It is a huge time commitment, taking up evenings and weekends working on the build. Our team is often just getting their robot working in time for the tournaments. All the kids should be proud of putting a robot on the field.
Elle Cohen
A
thread 4/6
The tournaments are built on team play. You play in an alliance of three teams. In the preliminary rounds you get assigned to different partners every round. You earn points an get ranked based on how you do. At the end of the preliminary rounds there is a selection for the playoffs.
Elle Cohen
A
thread 5/6
The top 8 teams choose their alliance members. They can choose each other too, so sometimes teams get moved into the captain role from the field. Our team ended preliminaries at 10/38. They moved into the 6th selecting spot and formed a team. They were the underdogs. They went all the way through th
06:39 AM - Mar 25, 2024 (Edited)
Elle Cohen
A
thread 6/6
Playoffs undefeated until the final rounds, when their robots started having mechanical problems that made hard to keep up with the better resourced team. So close! Their alliance finished in 2nd place. They should be damn proud of that! It’s so much fun and they get no love from their HS.
T. Naught
A
In response to Elle Cohen.
that’s outstanding! well done, team!

my kid on the west coast does this. i barely grasp the contest rules or team playoff format. but what is clear, like you said, is the *incredible* amount of time & effort these kids put into it.

thanks for the detailed summary. it helped my understanding a lot.
06:58 AM - Mar 25, 2024
Elle Cohen
A
In response to T. Naught.
I am in awe of these kids! I have no clue how any of this works and how anyone fields a working robot! The future is so bright.
07:02 AM - Mar 25, 2024
Jaha Jay Hughes
B
In response to Elle Cohen.
That is awesome.
06:41 AM - Mar 25, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}