Only accounts this user (knitquiltsewst1) follows can see their posts

Diane Turner
A
In response to Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense.
Having just gone through a job search that brought me lower pay, lower seniority in my career all for the sin of being a woman over 50… this all resonates. Ageism runs rampant for GenXers. . The jobs we were supposed to grow into are gone, I didnt win the Billion dollar powerball… it’s a problem.
04:18 AM - Mar 28, 2024
Dee Incognito
A
The hard work of the American people have made this guy and people like him mega wealthy. Compared to other countries we get very little time off. At the very least they owe us a comfortable retirement. Tax ‘em.
06:12 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Just a scifi nerd
A
GOP is worried that the smaller size of the workforce behind the boomers will result in less labor, meaning less profit
03:10 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
Hell, finding a job anywhere right now can be a steep hill to climb. I know software professionals with 10+ years of experience who can barely get one callback for every 10 applications and no interviews. I'm having a hard time squaring what I'm seeing with 4% unemployment.
12:12 PM - Mar 27, 2024
scribblegurl
A
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
4% unemployment only means that's how many people are drawing unemployment benefits. Once you "age out" of benefits, you no longer count as unemployed.
12:55 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Sally W
A
Age 68 and a CPA - I can’t do the extremely long hours of sitting. Between back and hip pain, there is just no way to do the 10-12 hour days expected. And the young ones that don’t care how much knowledge older tax people bring to the table. Just no, tired and not doing it.
11:36 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Linda Eisenstein
A
He can fuck right off to Fuckoffistan.
11:34 AM - Mar 27, 2024
William Tulloch
A
Can I also add that I've been working since age 13, paying into Social Security & Medicare since I was 15 and at 57 do not relish two more decades working just because I didn't sell my soul to work on Wall Street.
11:29 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Ground Control
A
In response to William Tulloch.
And even then, the selling doesn't always work. Went to school with a guy who BOASTED about selling his soul to corporate America. Last time I saw him, he was working as a clerk at Office Depot, giving off serious Walter White anger vibes.
11:44 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Wokity McWoke-Woke (Powdered Toast, Man)
A
Privileged BlackRock CEO is a Clueless ass.
11:22 AM - Mar 27, 2024 (Edited)
Ericlo
A
"He's steering the conversation toward BlackRock — and a lot of people who talk about Social Security reform on Wall Street want to privatize it in some manner and make money," Boston University economist Laurence Kotlikoff, an expert on Social Security, told CBS MoneyWatch.
11:18 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Ericlo
A
In response to Ericlo.
The vultures intend to feast through
fees from:
Corporately owned rental housing;
Corporately owned healthcare;
Corporately managed retirement assets.
11:44 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Sue Lee
A
In response to Ericlo.
That was my first thought when I read the article. His company makes money by folks putting money in BlackRock pension plans (privatizing social security).

Increasing the income cap to $400k or would help stabilize the social security funds. 🤷🏼‍♀️
11:28 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Sneaky Burrito
A
My husband was laid off from a tech job in his early/mid 40s and even then had a lot of trouble finding something new. Took something he hated for a year just to get by (until a better opportunity presented itself through networking).
11:17 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Christopher Brown
A
I have been lucky to gain work when I wanted it in my late 30’s, 40’s, and early 50’s, but this dude’s idea of work is antiquated.

I have never held a position in my life more than two years at the same institution since I started working in the 1990’s.

Ageism in the workplace is real, though.
11:16 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Christopher Brown
A
In response to Christopher Brown.
My friend is currently working for TSU in the IT Department as an SAP admin. He does not like this job at all, but to leave it would mean taking a pay cut at TSU or finding another job, possibly not a state job, and risk losing his retirement benefits.

I have strongly cautioned him leaving.
11:19 AM - Mar 27, 2024
HereWe GoAgain
A
I’m 65 now and staying at this job until they boot me out as i know how tough it would be to get another at this age let alone at 50. Been there done that.
11:13 AM - Mar 27, 2024
HereWe GoAgain
A
Was 50 laid off during 2008. It was embarrassing being interviewed by young men that couldnt care less about what I had to say. They had already made up their mind that they didn’t want to hire their mother. Only 1 middle age man was interested in what I had to say .. he knew i was qualified.
11:11 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Read aBannedBook
A
My saving grace was librarianship is a little less ageist though there were still codewords in job postings for young (dynamic, fresh ideas, etc.) Plus my hair was and is still naturally brown, so if they didn't do the math on degrees I could pull off younger (wear a pretty scarf to cover my neck)😀
10:42 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Whoa!
A
Yep. This is why I will not leave my current position voluntarily until I retire. Also the benefits are good and I need the insurance coverage for my wife. ☺️
10:38 AM - Mar 27, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}