Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense
A
thread 1/6
The thing with this “work into your elder years” nonsense is that folks rarely stay with a company for a lifetime. The older you get, the harder it is to find a job that matches your previous income, much less your skill set. And if you’re in an industry where you do hard physical labor, too many
11:17 AM - Mar 27, 2024
A
thread 2/6
… people CAN’T work into their 70s and 80s. People are more than what we contribute to the labor force. We deserve the rest we didn’t get when we were employed. We deserve to ease off and relax at some damn point.

I do consulting now, which gives me leeway to choose which jobs I want and at what…
A
thread 3/6
…pay, but three things will keep me working longer than I want to:
1) Covid: It hit our family hard and we paid tens of thousands of dollars of my mom’s hospital bills that weren’t covered by insurance.
2) Dad’s elder care: Although he had long-term care insurance, health insurance, and a…
A
thread 4/6
…retirement fund, it still wasn’t enough to cover all of his expenses, and not only did we pay for what he couldn’t, I had to greatly reduce my workload for four years to help care for him.
3) Husband’s employment: He was at his last job for 12 years, and was miserable. He took a different job that
A
thread 5/6
… was exhausting and was based on commission. He’s now in a job that he really likes, but at 2/3 the income he made at the evil company, and with no benefits. He’s about to turn 53, which places him outside of most companies’ hiring age WHETHER THEY WILL ADMIT IT OR NOT.

We’ll both be working…
A
thread 6/6
…well beyond retirement age because we can no longer afford not to. And although neither of us is yet 60 years old, we are TIRED. This is not where I imagined myself at this age, even though we planned for rainy days and a restful retirement. Life threw too many curveballs for us to relax.
Caryl D
A
In response to Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense.
Even if it is not considered physical labor…
Now:
How many hours past 40 is expected
What is the service delivery system

When VOC. REHAB suggested I become a Speech Pathologist it was a sit down job where the staff brought the child to my office-now I am expected to go up/down stairs each 1/2 hr
03:25 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
My dad worked for the same company for 50 years. The time for that kind of employer/employee loyalty is long, long gone. It does not exist any more.
03:18 PM - Mar 27, 2024
John Luttermoser
A
I fear this is all going to get worse because many Americans will refuse to demand that it get better. Americans are docile, and have been fed that individuality crap to the point that many are anti-union and seem to truly think there's something wrong with the benefits people in other nations have.
01:03 PM - Mar 27, 2024
A
In response to John Luttermoser.
Individualism is one of our worst ideals
01:41 PM - Mar 27, 2024
hal
A
I have no intention of surviving into "retirement". The best chance my wife has to enjoy hers is for me to cash out early.
12:49 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Kevin Hilbiber
A
Wow my mental illness made this a tough read. I finally settled down working for other artists- musicians mostly- was blessed to pay the bills for almost 40 years with this skillset. Never trusted money never fit in corporate. Still do 12 hour weeks to make ends meet at 68.
11:49 AM - Mar 27, 2024
AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn
A
I'm literally struggling with this right now. I got laid off a year ago and while I was able to get a 6 mo contract, I haven't been able to get anything else. My partner hasn't worked in over a year. We have aging parents & an adult child who is medically fragile. I'm so scared.
11:29 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Nefarious Newt
A
In response to AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn.
*hugs*
11:40 AM - Mar 27, 2024
Barbara Reid
A
In response to AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn.
I'm so sorry. You don't deserve this level of constant stress; no one does. 💔
02:44 AM - Mar 28, 2024
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}