Vivant Anon
A
Anyone here make your own #bread #yogurt #butter #cheese #kombucha or mead or #grow your own #mushrooms #canning #beekeeping #chickens (eggs or meat) #followback #garden #homestead #husbandry #farming

I’d love to connect! #following
06:55 PM - Apr 02, 2024
LD Jones
A
In response to Vivant Anon.
I make, bread, mead, beer, and I grow my own grapes for my annual "backyard" pyment
07:28 PM - Apr 02, 2024
Vivant Anon
A
In response to LD Jones.
What advice would you give for a novice mead brewer? 🙏
08:03 PM - Apr 02, 2024
LD Jones
A
In response to Vivant Anon.
Here is a simple recipe, for a light brew ~5% abv
1 lb honey
Put honey in fermenter and add enough water so that there is 1 us gallon total must. Don't add a gallon... make the total volume of water and honey = 1 gallon
Add a yeast like K1V-1116 (forgiving but can bring out fruit flavours) (contd)
11:43 PM - Apr 02, 2024
LD Jones
A
You can use most wine yeasts. EC-1118 would be fine but maybe not as flavourful. For this recipe even a bread yeast would work okay

Ferment to dry, (1.000 specific gravity) and then rack into a second container. Leave all the dead yeast and stuff at the bottom of old jar.

contd
In response to LD Jones.
11:49 PM - Apr 02, 2024
LD Jones
A
In response to LD Jones.
Take a hop bag, muslin brewing bag, or a cheese cloth you can tie shut

Add 1/4oz or a bit more of your favourite citrusy hop to the bag and the zest of a lemon/lime/orange and then close the sack. Last time I added dried bitter orange peel with Idaho7 hops and it came out lemonade like
contd
11:53 PM - Apr 02, 2024
LD Jones
A
In response to LD Jones.
Instead of hops and citrus peel
If you know enough about flowers to know which are edible you can add some flowers. Rose petals would probably work well. I have used flowers from culinary sage and it was so excellent, strawberry mint flowers are good too. Dandelions (no green stuff) may be good
ctd
11:55 PM - Apr 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}