Suzette_Sommer
A
Anybody who’s had extensive experience with nursing homes, of various types and qualities, knows how severe the caregiver shortage already is, and that the shortage of registered nurses is even worse. We’re also familiar with the high cost of nursing homes. How can this ever work???
Lola Gayle @LolaGayleC
WAPO - Biden administration imposes first-ever staff minimum for nursing homes

The senior care industry lobbied furiously against the new standard, which will require a registered nurse on site at all times.
12:05 PM - Apr 23, 2024
07:51 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Doug Says…
A
In response to Suzette_Sommer.
For what it’s worth, it’s no better here in Canada. Shameful how our seniors are treated.
08:09 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Suzette_Sommer
A
It’s a mess. Nursing home care is hard to find, very expensive and short of caregivers. The last nursing home I was visiting several days per week had a few American employees but most were immigrants from all over the world. Americans should definitely think about that. We need them.
In response to Doug Says….
12:07 AM - Apr 24, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
Recently took on a part-time job as an aide at a long-term care facility. Still in training. The skills I developed with my folks seemed applicable, so why not? Staff is also far younger than me. A resident commented he's not used to seeing someone closer to his age.
09:52 AM - Apr 24, 2024
Suzette_Sommer
A
In response to The Reluctant Townie.
You’re right, those of us who have already taken care of patients at home have a good idea of what is really required to take care of nursing home patients.. You must be in pretty good shape to be able to do it!
12:05 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Roberta Gunning
A
Amen
08:58 AM - Apr 24, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}