Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 1/6
Here is my "yelling at the clouds" post for today. Background. I have a 1999 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban I use for towing and heavy hauling. I also have a 2004 Volvo XC70. I need to get something new to replace both. So I go to the Chevy dealer and tell them what I want for towing and people hauling.
02:19 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 2/6
Brand new Silverado! Only $85,000! I have not looked at a new car in 20 years. I've done OK and I could swing that Silverado, but why in god's name would I do that? Plus, it has a 6 foot high front grill that is a custom built child killer. Pic for reference. The bottom of the
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 3/6
windshield is 6 inches higher than the bottom of the side windows. There is no need for that. My '99 Suburban has a 7.2 liter beast of an engine (the old 454) which has double the iron it needs. The hood height on that is barely 4 feet off the ground. Then, let's talk about all the useless
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 4/6
bells and whistles you pay through the nose for, will break continually as it ages, and serve no real purpose. A touchscreen? No thanks. Lane hold? I've been doing fine staying between the lines for 45 years. Subscriptions for various features? Go to hell. The state of new vehicles is, IMO, a
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 5/6
complete nightmare. I'm now looking at 10 year old vehicles. I can still find something sane and useable and not costlier than the first house I bought. Then I wonder, "who is buying these things!?" You're talking about 4 year degree kinds of costs for something that depreciates and wears out.
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 6/6
That's it. I have done my yelling and gotten it off my chest. I've also looked a bit at EVs. Some of the same complaints. Why can't I get an EV with the feature set of my '04 Volvo? No touchscreen. Not a smartphone with wheels. Just charge / go / charge. Alas.
BryanOfOhio
A
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
02:32 PM - Apr 30, 2024
BryanOfOhio
A
Interesting advertisement at the end of your rant...
At my age in $80,000 truck is a house payment why would I want a house payment I'm not living in it.😁
02:32 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to BryanOfOhio.
Right? I don't want to impress anybody with my vehicle. I want to go places I'm not currently at and haul the stuff I need to. Heat, AC, and a decent defroster. It's really all I ask for.
02:46 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Sneaky Burrito
A
This is why I am not ready to give up my 2014 Hyundai, even though it is one of the ones susceptible to the TikTok theft challenge (I park inside though). It has no mechanical problems.
02:25 PM - Apr 30, 2024 (Edited)
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to Sneaky Burrito.
Makes sense. My '04 Volvo runs like a top. I have a local non-dealer mechanic who works on them. I pay him a thousand or so every year to keep it up. I love that thing and nothing is better in the snow. I am now thinking about addressing the upholstery and keeping for another 10 years.
02:28 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Diana Beach
A
You and I have very similar opinions about what we need for a car.
02:22 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to Diana Beach.
I'm glad I'm not alone. I know the Chinese make EVs that are bare bones and sub $20k. They have plants in Mexico and are looking to import to the US. Congress would slap them with 25% tariffs so fast... I'm not enthusiastic about buying a Chinese car and would rather see US makers 'get it' and
02:25 PM - Apr 30, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}