Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 1/6
Here is my "yelling at the clouds" post for today. Background. I have a 1999 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban I use for towing and heavy hauling. I also have a 2004 Volvo XC70. I need to get something new to replace both. So I go to the Chevy dealer and tell them what I want for towing and people hauling.
02:19 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 2/6
Brand new Silverado! Only $85,000! I have not looked at a new car in 20 years. I've done OK and I could swing that Silverado, but why in god's name would I do that? Plus, it has a 6 foot high front grill that is a custom built child killer. Pic for reference. The bottom of the
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 3/6
windshield is 6 inches higher than the bottom of the side windows. There is no need for that. My '99 Suburban has a 7.2 liter beast of an engine (the old 454) which has double the iron it needs. The hood height on that is barely 4 feet off the ground. Then, let's talk about all the useless
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 4/6
bells and whistles you pay through the nose for, will break continually as it ages, and serve no real purpose. A touchscreen? No thanks. Lane hold? I've been doing fine staying between the lines for 45 years. Subscriptions for various features? Go to hell. The state of new vehicles is, IMO, a
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 5/6
complete nightmare. I'm now looking at 10 year old vehicles. I can still find something sane and useable and not costlier than the first house I bought. Then I wonder, "who is buying these things!?" You're talking about 4 year degree kinds of costs for something that depreciates and wears out.
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 6/6
That's it. I have done my yelling and gotten it off my chest. I've also looked a bit at EVs. Some of the same complaints. Why can't I get an EV with the feature set of my '04 Volvo? No touchscreen. Not a smartphone with wheels. Just charge / go / charge. Alas.
Diana Beach
A
We were looking at the new 4Runner and they are coming out with a hybrid which we were excited by. We live in Hawaii, perfect for an EV. But it doesn’t work like say a Prius. It doesn’t stretch your gas. It just helps with tork and getting you off the line faster. Missing the point in my opinion.
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
02:30 PM - Apr 30, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}