Martini C
A
When someone says they are afraid of being cancelled do they mean they are afraid of accountability for their words and/or behaviour?
01:24 PM - May 01, 2024
Jack Handy
A
In response to Martini C.
I don't know that there's a straightforward answer. In most cases being canceled is a result of saying or doing something that's legit reprehensible and/or damaging. But it can be negatively weaponized as well. Just know the accuser and the accused.
01:33 PM - May 01, 2024
Martini C
A
In response to Jack Handy.
It's the reality that cancelled is being conflated with accountability and that is allowing guilty people to lean into victimhood. There have been unfortunate cases where people's actions have been treated as reprehensible when they are human frailty.
01:35 PM - May 01, 2024
Jack Handy
A
That coupled with the cherry picking of language. I have a tendency to be very specific about what I say and sometimes that specificity is manifested in a statement which can be misconstrued by a person who isn't thinking the same way. I try not to apply a single idea to a multitude of possibilities
01:41 PM - May 01, 2024
Jack Handy
A
For example, saying all cops are bad is simply untrue. That doesn't mean I disagree with the sentiment that a lot of cops are not good people. But painting everyone with the same brush is never lies or fair.
01:42 PM - May 01, 2024
Martini C
A
There seems to be an issue with police departments, police work culture where they don't police themselves that helps to encourage the futility of saying all cops are bad.
02:28 PM - May 01, 2024
Jack Handy
A
Oh, I get it.

The sad fact is that more clicks are driven by disagreement than agreement, so driving people to opposite extremes pays.
06:46 PM - May 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}