VergeClub
A
#UK #LocalElections More good news. Khan wins a 3rd term as London Mayor. Two-term Tory Birmingham mayor loses to Labour.
With Khan, & Manchester Mayor Burnham, holding power, I wonder if they will start to turn the screws on Tory-lite Starmer. That would be the way to make it work.
06:20 PM - May 04, 2024
eanybean
A
In response to VergeClub.
Gripiing about Starmer now is like griping about Biden. There's only one sane choice and that's to wipe conservatives out at the ballot box and start the long, arduous journey of undoing the damage caused by their grift. Once they are purged, then we can start to rebuild for the betterment of all.
06:36 PM - May 04, 2024
VergeClub
A
In response to eanybean.
I think not. My point was that Starmer has got to factor in Khan's approach now. Starmer may be correct in thinking that there are more reactionary voters than progressive voters, but when he pursues a punitive policy when there's clear sentiment against it, he's lost the plot, just like Blair.

re:
06:46 PM - May 04, 2024 (Edited)
eanybean
A
Undoing the damage caused by the Tories is a 20 year project. The longest labour has ever been in government is 13 years from 1997 to 2010. Taking a sharp left at the outset will just result in more reactionary voters come the next GE and any good work being undone by another term of Tory grift.
In response to VergeClub.
06:56 PM - May 04, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}