Dorothy P
A
One of my grandmothers used to warn us to behave “because we don’t want white people to think ill of us.” I was still very young when I told her I wasn’t going to go out of my way to make people who wouldn’t like me no matter what feel comfortable.
"PROTECT BLACK WOMEN!" - yeah right @Original_Phoenix_Rising
Though I absolutely was largely raised based on the respectability politics model, I shook that off years ago. I don't care what people think & have nothing to prove to this "them" I kept hearing about growing up, no one would specifically say who "them" was but they meant white people.
06:09 PM - May 06, 2024
06:13 PM - May 06, 2024
Liz Adams
A
I agree, why take the trouble. Was she feeling that anything any one person did might be blamed on the whole group? Maybe she grew up when it was really dangerous to cross a white person.
In response to Dorothy P.
06:32 PM - May 06, 2024
Jacqueline Wallace
A
In response to Liz Adams.
“Protection” may have sometimes been repressive as some of the ancestors saw their beloveds killed or beaten for rolling their eyes. A friends’ great grandma had oil poured on her head and set afire.Thus “protection” delayed or stultified personal growth. Devastating. You were “you” & lived!! Amen
06:38 PM - May 06, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}