Christopher Pellegrini
A
Hello everyone! Christopher Pellegrini at your service, spouting from Tokyo, Japan. Follow me to get your regular dose of knowledge on Japanese spirits! #shochu #awamori
09:38 PM - Feb 01, 2023
Russell Wingard
A
In response to Christopher Pellegrini.
That's a very cool specialization you have there, Christopher! Our local izakaya in Oregon has a decent variety of shochu and awamori but we usually end up ordering nihonshu. Maybe it's time to expand my horizons. Looking forward to learning from you!
09:56 PM - Feb 03, 2023
Christopher Pellegrini
A
They're Japan's best-kept secrets, that's for sure. I'm curious to hear which brands are available in Oregon. I seem to recall hearing of a unique tax regime in your state that makes many smaller spirits brands balk, but I could be wrong.
In response to Russell Wingard.
09:09 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Russell Wingard
A
In response to Christopher Pellegrini.
Yes, our excise tax on liquor is the second highest in the nation despite beer and wine taxes being relatively low. Looking at a couple Shochu menus online, I see Yokaichi, Ginza no Suzume, Iichiko, Kurokame, Beniotome, Kumejima no Kumesen, Satsuma, Towari, and Takara. Hm, no brown sugar Shochu.
04:50 PM - Mar 18, 2023
Christopher Pellegrini
A
In response to Russell Wingard.
Ahhh, yes. Those are all brands from rather massive distilleries. Thank you for the list. And the explanation!
12:03 AM - Mar 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}