Dan Ehrenkrantz
A
One reason I don’t like blanket condemnations of religion is #antisemitism There is no universally accepted definition of “religion” but many people think Judaism can be labeled a religion. Statements like “religion is poison” or “religions teach you not to think” pave the way to antisemitism.
08:48 AM - Apr 14, 2023
ChristyK
A
In response to Dan Ehrenkrantz.
This past month I've seen a lot of memes on social media that were criticizing the Passover story. In some ways, they just looked like standard mocking of scriptures for being violent but they also reminded me of all the blood libel accusations. Antisemitism trying to disguise itself as humor.
08:56 AM - Apr 14, 2023
Ground Control
A
In response to Dan Ehrenkrantz.
Wise insight, that. Usually when such people say "religion", they mean "Christianity", whether they realize it or not. Given that religion contains a number of other faiths like Hinduism, Sikhism and Voudun, too much of the hate feels like a cover for racism, colonialism and so on.
08:54 AM - Apr 14, 2023
Dan Ehrenkrantz
A
In response to Ground Control.
Yes. And religions should be (and often deserve to be) critiqued and criticized. But that’s different than a blanket condemnation.
08:57 AM - Apr 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}