Tristan Snell
A
TODAY: Iowa Republicans voted to legalize child labor for kids as young as 14.

The Iowa senate did this at 5 am and hoped no one would notice.

But sure, go ahead and tell me how right-wingers are trying to protect our children.
07:51 AM - Apr 19, 2023
VanceInLA
B
In response to Tristan Snell.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
10:37 AM - Apr 19, 2023
Kat K
A
Under current IA law, your situation would've been allowed. This bill increases the amount of hours kids under 16 can work per day (up to 6 hrs) and allows 16 and 17 year-olds to serve alcohol - https://www.pbs.org/newsho...
In response to VanceInLA.
10:48 AM - Apr 19, 2023
Jennifer Sinclair
B
In response to Kat K.
At 16 I was serving food in restaurants but couldn't serve alcohol - another wait staff did that for me. I did every other part of the job but the laws forbid me to deliver alcohol (it was dumb). LOTS of 16 years olds are living "independent" lives and need to work to pay rent.
06:40 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Kat K
A
In response to Jennifer Sinclair.
So you were inconvenienced by not being able to serve at 16, but that didn't stop you from having a job. And unless you have some backup for "LOTS", I think you're conflating your experience as being commonplace so as to necessitate this change, which I don't think would bear out
07:25 AM - Apr 24, 2023
Carla Vivarttas
B
In response to Jennifer Sinclair.
Oh please! A lot of 16 year olds are not living independently and paying rent. At 16 years you are not considered an adult legally so you cannot enter into contracts, like leasing an apartment. You would need to work full time to afford rent. What nonsense!
02:55 AM - Apr 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}