Tristan Snell
A
TODAY: Iowa Republicans voted to legalize child labor for kids as young as 14.

The Iowa senate did this at 5 am and hoped no one would notice.

But sure, go ahead and tell me how right-wingers are trying to protect our children.
07:51 AM - Apr 19, 2023
VanceInLA
B
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
In response to Tristan Snell.
10:37 AM - Apr 19, 2023
Carla Vivarttas
B
In response to VanceInLA.
A lot of these jobs (meat packing and slaughter house) are dangerous jobs - unlike delivering newspapers or most restaurant work.
02:50 AM - Apr 28, 2023 (Edited)
Jennifer Sinclair
B
umm.. Im in agreement. I had two paper routes at 10 years old. One in the morning and the other in the evening. A BUNCH of us kids in the neighbourhood had paper routes. By 14 I had summer jobs and I've honestly worked ever since. Excellent grades at school, I paid for my school trip to Italy and t
06:35 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Jennifer Sinclair.
this law wasn't passed for the benefit of paper carriers, babysitters, pet & plant sitters, snow shovellers, helping neighbors with yard work, or working at local ice cream stand. this law was passed so that industrial employers like meat packers & agribusinesses who have been understaffed /1/
11:53 AM - Jul 21, 2023 (Edited)
Marcia Geotsalitis
A
Apparently seeing a drag show is unsuitable grooming, but enabling young teenagers to serve alcohol to 'grab 'em by the phssy' knockoffs & drunkards isn't? Or do they think only immigrant kids get stuck w awful & dangerous jobs. GQP are truly deplorable. HRC was right about everything.
#VoteBlue
12:15 AM - Apr 21, 2023
VanceInLA
B
In response to Marcia Geotsalitis.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
01:23 AM - Apr 21, 2023
Kat K
A
Under current IA law, your situation would've been allowed. This bill increases the amount of hours kids under 16 can work per day (up to 6 hrs) and allows 16 and 17 year-olds to serve alcohol - https://www.pbs.org/newsho...
10:48 AM - Apr 19, 2023
Jennifer Sinclair
B
In response to Kat K.
At 16 I was serving food in restaurants but couldn't serve alcohol - another wait staff did that for me. I did every other part of the job but the laws forbid me to deliver alcohol (it was dumb). LOTS of 16 years olds are living "independent" lives and need to work to pay rent.
06:40 AM - Apr 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}